I'm In Need Of Interesting Fish For 29g Tank

kelp

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I had all kinds of community fish, from rasboras to tetras to barbs to danios over the past five years, but I feel like I'm in need of something more exciting. Something that will surprise me over the days. Maybe it's their small size that leads me away from them or maybe it's my unsatisfying mind that always desires more. I think my problem is that I hate community fish. All of the fish that have interested me in the past were loaches, cichlids, rainbow sharks when I had a larger tank, but I can not fit those fish in the tank I have in my present situation, a 29 gallon tank. Does anybody have any suggestions for interesting fish for a 29 gallon?
 
Well you can try some uncommon or rare species such as livebearing goodeids or halfbeaks. Maybe shelldweller cichlids or freshwater/brackish water pipefish? Giant betta, african pike charcin, purple spotted grudgeon, maybe even North American sunfish (there are few smaller species than bluegill), tiger crawdad, snow white crayfish, blue prawn or some few species of freshwater puffers that's suited for 29gal tank. There are lots of species that I can't think of.
 
Ah, well, I don't really have access to rare species of fish. Do you have any suggestions for some more common types of fish?
 
You could go for puffers. Most of the common ones would be fine in a tank that size. You could keep a couple of dwarfs, providing that you plant or decorate heavily.

You could also go for an invert-only tank. Shrimp and snails, or a smaller cray, or aegla. You could even set it up as an amphibious habitat and keep some crabs.
 
If I were you in your situation, I would have a dwarf pike cichlid, a pair of apistos, or a sanchezi piranha. If you wanted to go brackish or marine you could have frogfish. They will certainly surprise you over the days!

Ryan
 
shellies are a v good choice, they're small african cichlids so you could have a nice group of them and the dynamics and interaction between them is brilliant.

other dwarf new world cichlids such as apistogramma would be another good choice.
 
shellies are a v good choice, they're small african cichlids so you could have a nice group of them and the dynamics and interaction between them is brilliant.

other dwarf new world cichlids such as apistogramma would be another good choice.


How do I determine which cichlids are shelldwellers at my local fish store? I see that most of the shelldwellers don't have common names, and my LFS labels a tank that is full of cichlids. Would those be the shelldwellers?
 
research shellies first and pick a species then go round the lfs's looking for them or ask someone to order them in. also check out mail order suppliers for them.
 
what about a pair of kribs? they are great fish and brreed easily. you could get a good shoal of something in with them too.
 
I'm pretty much considering some types of cichlids. With apistos and kribs, is it possible that I could have more than a pair of them in the same tank, or would they get too aggressive for each other.

I don't think I will get any community fish because I've always had them in the past, and I find their continual paths monotonous.

I was considering a pair of firemouths or convicts or rams.
 
I'm pretty much considering some types of cichlids. With apistos and kribs, is it possible that I could have more than a pair of them in the same tank, or would they get too aggressive for each other.

I don't think I will get any community fish because I've always had them in the past, and I find their continual paths monotonous.

I was considering a pair of firemouths or convicts or rams.


I have a 30 gal (US) with 1m/3f apistos (Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids, for the common name). And they do fine together. I find 3 is a good number of females so that no 2 are always fighting (the girls do fight over the male and over breeding ground). They are a very showy fish. I think the double reds are much nicer looking than the yellows. Now you can house apistos with guppies just fine, infact, one of my girls stays with the guppies at the top most of the time, while the other two fight over the big guy.
 
I have come to the conclusion that in order to have for a lack of better words "good fish" you need a much bigger tank. im in the same boat as you and not comming up with to many possibilities that i am acutally able to find.
 
yeah a 29g wouldnt give many options really. you could try african butterfly fishes, they seem to be dubbed as interesting by many (though not to me :lol:)
 
Gobies
kuhli loaches
dwarf loaches
plecos
upside down catfish
ghost catfish
hatchetfish

I'm considering these for my 29gallon.
I already have black kuhlie loaches and some upside down catfish.
I think I'll get some more, and then a group of ghost catfish.

BTW by ghost catfish I mean this:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=2519
 

Most reactions

Back
Top