I'm in deep now...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hear my tale. Early on in keeping fish I got the idea that the best way to have more fish might be to own a fish store. I began to do the research on what that would take in terms of time and money. My goal was really simple. I did not care if the store never made me a profit. However, I needed to be certain going in that I could be 100% sure I would also not lose my shirt.

I crunched numbers and looked at all the options and I never opened a store. So instead of looking at all the benefits, consider the potential downsides. You have to stock your store. Unless you are pretty wealthy this means you will have to select what you stock. Decide wrong and you are stuck with fish you cannot sell and have to feed etc. Or you get in a nice shipment of fish which included some disease and the entire shipment dies. So one of the most important skills you will need is in diagnosing and treating fish.

I have known a few folks who have started stores, almost none managed to make it work for more than a few years. So my advice is to start home based. Most of your sales will be shipped. I allow people to come to my home to buy fish by appointment, but you may not want to do this. Consider how many people there are in Iowa who keep fish and might travel to you. Then consider how many fish keepers their are in America. Finally, consider what fish you can offer that are not cheap and easy to find.

Also, I began with my first expensive plecos in 2006. At the same time we were caring for my mother, who had dementia, at home. It quickly became obvious that I had a tank full of zebra pleco babies and a mother who could not deal with an extended loss of electricity. So we installed a whole house back-up generator. Before it was hooked up, we had a power outage. To keep my fish alive and safe I used battery powered air pumps rotated between tanks. But I needed to keep the zebras warm. So I was removing tank water to a pot and then heating it on the outdoor grill and putting back into the tank. At that time I estimated I had $15k worth of zebras plus my other fish not to mention the value of mom.

If you are serious about this project, you need to be sure you have covered all the bases. In 2011 and 2012 we had big hurricanes which came up the east coast and through NY. Both times the power from the utility was out for 13 days. The generator turned out to be one the best money we have ever spent.

Finally, seek out folks who have done what you are wanting to do and pump them for any info you can. Over the years I have purchased many 100s of fish, maybe 1,000s. I have spawned some, I have bought wholesale and I have bought imports. I have managed to make my hobby pay for itself. But I also started later in life and so money was less of a problem the longer I was keeping fish. But there were still some big risks involved. I paid many $1,000s for each of the last two groups of fish I purchased. I worked my way up to this over more than a decade and I did not begin this course until I was 5+ years into the hobby.

The best advice I can offer here is start slow. Then use each success to build things a bit bigger. And do not make the most common mistake most new business owners do. We all underestimate how much time and money will be needed to get it all started. I never had more than 28 tanks going at one time including my display tanks.

Lastly, take pride in what you do. The only way to succeed longer term at this is to be selling a quality product. Like I often tell folks, "One healthy fish has to worth at least 3 DOAS."

Good luck and be sure to have fun doing it. That is half the point of it all.

edited for typos
Thank you sincerely for taking time to offer all of this advice. I do plan to just sell from my home (online or via appointment) for now. I know that it will be some number of years before I could possibly open a store. I have been fishkeeping off an on for over 20 years, but not on such a serious level until recently. I want to get more experience with breeding various types of fish, and like you said picking the brains of those with LFS operating experience. Oh, and I do plan to get a generator very soon. Though I've personally never lost power in my area for more than a few hours, it doesnt mean it couldnt happen if there was a tornado or major winter storm, etc. So, I have been thinking about what a disaster that would be to lose all of our fish.

are you going to have to buy a bigger House? I would have to.
No, luckily my house has enough space (and that is not even taking account of the garage, which does have running water/electricity, etc...so if we needed to put some out there we could). The 220 will be on display in our living room, and then we will have 2 fish rooms for breeding and growing plants (one is in my basement - which I plan to be mainly plants and things that don't need as much "maintenance" and daily care..the other is in an office).

We will be picking the 220 gal tank up on Saturday (5 days to go!)...here are fish/other we are planning to put in so far:

All of the these in the first list currently live in my boyfriends 75 gal community tank, so we already know that they all get along...however, will increasing the tank size change that dynamic? I know it could, especially with the discus, angelfish, etc.
  • 15 green neons
  • 5 dwarf blue gouramis
  • 2 blood parrot cichlids
  • 3 discus
  • 3 bristlenose plecos
  • 7 candy cane tetras
  • 2 little orange apistogrammas (they're so cute, can't remember their name)
  • 3 angelfish
  • 3 vampire shrimp
  • 6 amano shrimp
  • 1 mystery snail (male)
  • 1 rabbit snail (unk sex)
Now for the interesting part, here's what we are planning to add to the 220 gal tank:
  • we want 100 green neons total, so we will be gradually adding to our existing group of fifteen as we can find them available at our LFSs (we see these less often than the normal neons or cardinal neons, so it could take some time to build up to that number)
  • 3 more discus minimum...if there is aggression, will add more
  • 3 green phantom plecos (coming with tank purchase) - i might breed these, so if i do i'll pull two out if i can figure out if we have a male/female, in that case it would be 1 green phantom pleco left in the tank
  • 15 more angelfish coming with tank purchase for a total of 18 including the 3 we already have (i know possible aggression issues when they pair off, but i am planning on breeding angelfish so i will just pull them out and put pairs into 40 gal breeders as necessary) - i have always wanted a big tank with a large group of angelfish, so finally achieving this :)
  • 4 or 5 electric blue acara (this is a fish i want to breed as well, so will probably pull two of them and put them in their own tank at some point in the near future)
  • we are down to add a handful of mystery snails as long as they are males
  • 6 cherry barbs (just because i have some in one of my other tanks, and they are a great peaceful community fish) - might add more who knows, love the bright red of the males and even the females are okay
  • 2 sailfin mollies (i have a male and female wild-type that i picked up a couple weeks ago) - well two for now ;) *i'm okay with babies getting eaten, it's the cycle of life and keeps the livebearer population from exploding, maybe some make it to adulthood since we have lots of plants/wood for hiding places. I wouldn't mind if this population slowly climbed.
  • 3 giant danios (these are coming with the tank purchase and we are going to test them out to see how we like these in the big tank, they are extremely active and if we are going to keep them - I intend to buy 5 more to make it a group of 8 because it seems mean to keep a schooling fish in such small numbers, but if we don't care for the level of activity, i will move these 3 elsewhere and go with zero danios). My boyfriend likes the look of them, but I have a feeling once he sees their nonstop cruising, he may find it too much. So, we'll see...
  • various types of corys - maybe 15 total? (sorry i don't know the specifics, they're coming with the purchase which includes 10 tanks and a lot of random fish)
  • I also want to add some more gouramis of a less aggressive type, I'm thinking 5 honey gouramis
  • I really want to add a couple more blood parrot fish, concerned about possible aggression (i've heard this from others on this forum) - but the 2 that I already have are harmless and don't even chase other fish
Here are some POSSIBLE fish, but if they were added - they would only be temporary due to the size they reach as adults:
  • 1 juvi senegal bichir - currently 4 or 5 inches long (i don't really know much about this fish except that you need a good lid, they get 1-2 ft long but stay skinny, and it's already in a community tank, so should be okay?)
  • 3 - 5 female nicaraguan macaw cichlids?? i have 30+ of these juvenile cichlids, kinda depends on how fast they grow as to whether we decide to put any in...but with full understanding that they can't stay in there forever because they will eat many of their smaller tank mates
What are some fish that you would consider adding if this were your community tank?

Last edited:
get a couple quarantine tanks going for new purchases unless your fish store is better than mine. All I can say is wow and hope you have a python or 2

get a couple quarantine tanks going for new purchases unless your fish store is better than mine. All I can say is wow and hope you have a python or 2
No pythons, lol...

Quarantine tank, glad you mentioned that...we do have plenty of extra already cycled tanks and 100% plan to quarantine before mixing these fish together with ours. Thanks for that important comment though!

you do know I meant the kind of python that is a 50 ft hose with a siphon on the end?
I did not....................went right over my head. Hey i'm new to big fish tanks...so I need a python hose. Got it. I just have a normal gravel vac type siphon with a hand pump thing to get it going.

We will be picking the 220 gal tank up on Saturday (5 days to go!)...here are fish/other we are planning to put in so far:

All of the these in the first list currently live in my boyfriends 75 gal community tank, so we already know that they all get along...however, will increasing the tank size change that dynamic? I know it could, especially with the discus, angelfish, etc.
  • 15 green neons
  • 5 dwarf blue gouramis
  • 3 discus
  • 3 bristlenose plecos
  • 7 candy cane tetras
  • 3 angelfish
  • 3 vampire shrimp
  • 6 amano shrimp
  • 1 mystery snail (male)
Now for the interesting part, here's what we are planning to add to the 220 gal tank:
  • we want 100 green neons total, so we will be gradually adding to our existing group of fifteen as we can find them available at our LFSs (we see these less often than the normal neons or cardinal neons, so it could take some time to build up to that number)
  • 3 green phantom plecos (coming with tank purchase) - i might breed these, so if i do i'll pull two out if i can figure out if we have a male/female, in that case it would be 1 green phantom pleco left in the tank
  • 15 more angelfish coming with tank purchase for a total of 18 including the 3 we already have (i know possible aggression issues when they pair off, but i am planning on breeding angelfish so i will just pull them out and put pairs into 40 gal breeders as necessary) - i have always wanted a big tank with a large group of angelfish, so finally achieving this :)
  • 4 or 5 electric blue acara (this is a fish i want to breed as well, so will probably pull two of them and put them in their own tank at some point in the near future)
  • 6 cherry barbs (just because i have some in one of my other tanks, and they are a great peaceful community fish) - might add more who knows, love the bright red of the males and even the females are okay
  • 2 sailfin mollies (i have a male and female wild-type that i picked up a couple weeks ago) - well two for now ;) *i'm okay with babies getting eaten, it's the cycle of life and keeps the livebearer population from exploding, maybe some make it to adulthood since we have lots of plants/wood for hiding places. I wouldn't mind if this population slowly climbed.
  • 3 giant danios (these are coming with the tank purchase and we are going to test them out to see how we like these in the big tank, they are extremely active and if we are going to keep them - I intend to buy 5 more to make it a group of 8 because it seems mean to keep a schooling fish in such small numbers, but if we don't care for the level of activity, i will move these 3 elsewhere and go with zero danios). My boyfriend likes the look of them, but I have a feeling once he sees their nonstop cruising, he may find it too much. So, we'll see...
  • various types of corys - maybe 15 total? (sorry i don't know the specifics, they're coming with the purchase which includes 10 tanks and a lot of random fish)
  • I also want to add some more gouramis of a less aggressive type, I'm thinking 5 honey gouramis
  • I really want to add a couple more blood parrot fish, concerned about possible aggression (i've heard this from others on this forum) - but the 2 that I already have are harmless and don't even chase other fish
Here are some POSSIBLE fish, but if they were added - they would only be temporary due to the size they reach as adults:
  • 1 juvi senegal bichir - currently 4 or 5 inches long (i don't really know much about this fish except that you need a good lid, they get 1-2 ft long but stay skinny, and it's already in a community tank, so should be okay?)
  • 3 - 5 female nicaraguan macaw cichlids?? i have 30+ of these juvenile cichlids, kinda depends on how fast they grow as to whether we decide to put any in...but with full understanding that they can't stay in there forever because they will eat many of their smaller tank mates
What are some fish that you would consider adding if this were your community tank?
Harlequins!!

• 15 green neons
  • 5 dwarf blue gouramis
  • 3 discus
  • 3 bristlenose plecos
  • 7 candy cane tetras
  • 3 angelfish
  • 3 vampire shrimp
  • 6 amano shrimp
  • 1 mystery snail (male)
Catching the bichirs and macaw cichlids in a 220 ought to be a real multi-net party

Sorry that it has taken me so long, this took WAY longer than expected. Once we bought the tanks, and got them moved here, we consolidated a bunch of fish down to about 5 different tanks and then set about selling (or donating...4 of our largest fish went to the Henry Doorly Zoo) the fish that we didn't want to keep. We had to rehome so many fish before we could make the 220 our community tank. So, it's still not 100% done, we need better lights, and I'm going to paint the base and trim black at some point - but here it is right now.

Attachments

• 20230331_084732.jpg
    20230331_084732.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 16

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back