I'm Designing A Website In Geocities

Torrean

The Hairy Potter
Reaction score
I've got a free website on geocities but it's so big that it can only load once an hour before I go over my 4.2 MB bandwidth per hour limit. I was wondering if you guys could think of something I could do to reduce my bandwidth usage. Any tips are appreciated. My Webpage

EDIT: I took care of it. I upgraded my server plan. Thanks anyway

The way to do this is to sign up for a couple of flikr or photobucket accounts and host all your bandwidth-sucking images on there and just host the HTML at Geocities.

Alternatively, simply buy a low cost hosting package from any one of a million hosts. You'll get much better deals than Geocities offer.

Low cost hosting:

www.canaca.com - MASSIVE bandwidth but poor support

www.bluehost - excellent everyting and you can host SIX domains on a single hosting account.

Thanks guys. I've already paid for this month but I'll take a look at those two links Peter. SirMinion I wish you'd been a tiny bit quicker. If I'd known that trick I might have been able to avoid buying bandwidth altogether. My site is close to 90% pictures. =). What do you guys think of me making one page with different classifications. Like small hut with floor small hut without floor medium w/ floor etc. Or maybe by price and then linking each example pic to another page with all my other pieces of that type in it. If that makes sense. I'm working on it now I'd just like to pick your brains while I do it.

What I reckon you should do, is create more than one page, maybe several. With one page telling prospective customers about your clay, another page called a gallery and another page about ordering. It mya be worth setting up a paypal account and selling off the web.

If you want to setup an online store its both simple and free.

This one took me six hours: http://www.shstore.co.uk
This one so far has taken be about five: http://www.wereldpartij.nl
This one about ten hours including custom pictures for the stock: http://www.titanshop.co.uk

The software these sites use is free and comes as standard in something called Fantastico. You get this as standard on a webhost that provides cPanel. Payments are all done through PayPal on these sites. Hit me in PM and I can give you step by step instructions start to finish and help you out wherever possible :) I may even be able to offer you some free hosting soon too. Im upgrading my hosting accounts with BlueHost and their bandwidth is unbelievable for the price.

i use www.netkeepers.ca
cheaper than UK hosts and US hosts (thank you exchange rate) and you get LOADS of storage and good customer service.

with your site, by the looks of it you could do with re-sizing some of your images, some are over 100kb, what graphics program do you use? if it's photoshop, use the save to web option and it'll give you a nice compact file size.

For $150 CDN you get 20 gigabytes of monthly bandwidth with that host

With Canaca for $47.40US ($54.56 CDN) you get 500GB transfer per month.
Canaca also offers 20000 MB where netkeepers offer only 500....

Bluehost has half the bandwidth and space of Canaca, but it has five addon domains so you can host up to six sites on the same space.

wow - on netkeepers you only get access to 2 mySQL databases... Bluehost offer 50 mysql and 50 postgre.

Id recommend a host change catxx... Im currently using FuitadNet.com and theyre awful by comparison to these two hosts ive found recently.

Note about canaca: they have got terrible customer support.

hi there im after just setting up a web page just for personal use not to sell but having probs finding a site that gives it to you free with templates too ( not a geek soz have no idea how to do all that ) so any ideas? have tried yahoo geo something but cant do anything on it so anyone plz? help :/

if you can find me a host with GOOD customer service then i'll change
netkeepers fix stuff pretty much straight away, they're good boys, and i'm not THAT techy either. i just use the space for personal stuff not commercial anyway.

and it has to be american/canadian, UK hosts rip us off so bad.

Amen to that. Hosting in the UK is awful, and its usually really slow! From my hosts in the stats (and some in canada too) I can download on average, twice as fast as standard business hosting in the UK.

Ill keep you informed about my experiences with BlueHost. My current hosts used to also have first class support, and even though Ive always known that the package was a bit of a rip off for its details, I stayed for the service. These days the service is terrible - sharphorizon.com is my main consultancy website and its been down for four days. Thats just inexcusable especially because I could fix it myself if it was on my own webserver! I know whats wrong and theyre just not bothered to fix it :/

If BlueHost have decent service Ill be a happy camper. If theyve got poor service Ill still probably be happy becuase of the addon domains. Five addons... its like five extra hosting packages *drools*

if you can find me a host with GOOD customer service then i'll change
netkeepers fix stuff pretty much straight away, they're good boys, and i'm not THAT techy either. i just use the space for personal stuff not commercial anyway.

and it has to be american/canadian, UK hosts rip us off so bad.

We have a reseller account with Clook.net, a UK based small hosting company that never fail to astound us with the quality of their service.

If you email them with a problem, even at three in the morning response is usually less than half an hour. Outstanding

but SirMinion, it's a UK host, i need to compare £££ when it comes to UK hosts, this is why i host with a Canadian company, the exchange rate I like.

I hope the customer service for those guys is as good as you claim SirM... their packages are... lacking...

*sighs*

Girlfriends logs into my machine - twice in the last two days have I thought that her neopets stock was mine :p

this post actually by PeterM :p edited to say as much.

Most reactions

Back