Im Changing From Gravel To Sand

it sure is i basicly sat there and thought im not making the most of that tank it could look so much better. doubtless about halfway thru i will be cursing ever having the idea but hey thats what us fish keepers do lol. what i may do for adding the sand is the tube idea but instead of using gravel vac tube nip to b and q and get an offcut of 6" plastic pipe and use it in the same way i will of course post before and after pics once its done planning on ordering the redmoor root early next week and doing the substrate change next weekend
 
it sure is i basicly sat there and thought im not making the most of that tank it could look so much better. doubtless about halfway thru i will be cursing ever having the idea but hey thats what us fish keepers do lol. what i may do for adding the sand is the tube idea but instead of using gravel vac tube nip to b and q and get an offcut of 6" plastic pipe and use it in the same way i will of course post before and after pics once its done planning on ordering the redmoor root early next week and doing the substrate change next weekend

if u do it that way probably a funnel into the tube would work better than trying to aim the sand into the tube, u will make a mess lol
 
When I changed from gravel to sand I removed the gravel with a kitchen slotted spoon and a large net, I did not remove much water, just enough to work in the tank and not slop water over the sides, once the gravel was removed I left the tank to settle for half an hour as there will be a lot of sediment. I sucked the sediment up with the tube off a gravel vac and added the rest of the water i had took out of the tank back in to settle it. I used play sand in one of my tanks but it not matter how well I had cleaned it or how careful i was it still sent the water murky for a few hours. (sand was from Tesco)
The next tank I changed to sand I did with aquarium sand from Peter Barratts, this was far easier to clean and did not send the tank murky for as long.
I have since changed the playsand tank back to gravel as maintenance was a nightmare. The other tank is still sand and is a doddle to do as the sand particles are larger and easier to vac.
 
what did you do with your fish whilst doing all of this?? i will look at this aquarium sand and compare price etc
 
I took them out and put them in a couple of tubs, they were fine in the kitchen, covered the tubs over as well so we had no jumpers..
(ps. I am now logged in as my wife and not as bigbadbaz)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top