What's new

If you could go back & forwards in time. . .

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
If you could go back and forwards in time (yes time travel), where would you go and why?

I would go back and save extinct animals like the Tasmanian tiger, Dodo, paradise parrot, and any other birds and animals people have wiped out. Then take them forward to a time in the future where they would be safe to continue living.

If you could go back and forwards in time (yes time travel), where would you go and why?

I would go back and save extinct animals like the Tasmanian tiger, Dodo, paradise parrot, and any other birds and animals people have wiped out. Then take them forward to a time in the future where they would be safe to continue living.
So, you only have to go back as far as all those crazy British explorers that is easy. Darwin always surprises me, for some reason he thought killing birds etc. and taking them back to England was a good thing. I have never figured out, a man with his intellect would produce that as a clever idea.

I would go back in time to when the first visitors from Orion came here and destroyed the dinosaurs so that this planet would then be safe for us to inhabit it and tell them to go home. I would go forward in time to Orion and say to them "Well guys that was a stupid idea, all we did was destroy a perfectly good planet"

Id go back to October 2017 and not ride my electric scooter that day and avoid the accident that set my most painful disease in motion

sorry to read about your accident.
Love your avatar - original ? It evokes so much, I want it on the wall in my study/ office. For me, it embellishes my downfall and catharsis in 2016.
What would i change ? Tell Henry VIII - "dont believe the hype",

sorry to read about your accident.
Love your avatar - original ? It evokes so much, I want it on the wall in my study/ office. For me, it embellishes my downfall and catharsis in 2016.
What would i change ? Tell Henry VIII - "dont believe the hype",
Thanks. Yes it is an original, i have prints too. It was inspired by my experience with both the physical and mental aspects of living with CRPS and hEDS

Last edited:
I would go back to the 1600's and stop the ships from bringing enslaved human beings to the newly settled colonies, known today as the USA.
Then further stop what happened to the Natives living in the country by the USA.

You cannot change the past. But is you had a Tardis (Dr. Who) you could do so. I have a list of what I call my "Tardis Concerts." They are concerts from the past that I wish I could travel back in time to see live."

One is the encore of the The Dance concert by Fleetwood Mac. I don't know who the performance got higher- the band or the audience.

However, if I could undo anything in my life it would be to go back and stop myself from smoking my first cigarette.

I doubt there is any single point in time, if one could alter it, that would prevent the human race from being where it is or doing what it did to get here nor to be where it appears to be heading.

I’d go back to the late 1930s. The great depression was ending. No TVs, no computers. No video games. Cars were becoming more popular. Radio was entertainment. Family was important. Things were slower paced. Great live music.. big bands.

Last edited:
I'm assuming I couldn't change the past - one guy in weird clothes with weird attitudes probably isn't going to get too far. But what would I like to see? There are so many moments in time where I would love to see how crowds really reacted - too many. So I'll take the easy road and say I would like to have seen one of Louis Armstrong's 1920s concerts.
But I would also kind of like to see what my corner of the world was like before humans.

So, you only have to go back as far as all those crazy British explorers that is easy. Darwin always surprises me, for some reason he thought killing birds etc. and taking them back to England was a good thing. I have never figured out, a man with his intellect would produce that as a clever idea.

The basics of taxonomy would have any scientist doing that, before or after. The practice was established long before Darwin went to work. If you describe a species, you need a type specimen which is preserved in a public access place for researchers to have a look at if they have questions. It keeps people from making up species, saying they saw them and named them and that's that.
So if you wish to describe a bird, or a fish, you have to collect it and preserve a specimen or two for the future. A good example of why this matters is that the Nazis wanted to prove their superiority, so they sent people out to collect and describe new species. They wanted to prove they could discover more than anyone else. As you can imagine, since success paid, they played fast and loose, and some killifish species, as an example, were described quite a few times under quite a few names. When people later tried to make sense of the relationships, they had to go to the preserved type specimens to prove that 'errors' had been made. Some fish had been given 5 or 6 names.

When the common krib was imported, it was given that name because an importer confused it with another species. Pelvicachromis pulcher is a kribensis to us, and Pelvicachromis kribensis isn't. How was it figured out that we were wrong? Type specimens.

I sacrificed some fish to a major DNA based study of killifish when that was a new process, and the paper produced by the scientists who did the study really changed our understanding of killifish evolution. I've also preserved unlucky fish from undescribed species and sent them off to researchers. I don't like it, but it makes perfect sense to me. I've stood at windows in natural history museums and looked at creatures Darwin worked on. It's an interesting experience.

Future? The last few decades have made me a pessimist, and I'm not sure I'd want to see 100 years along unless I had managed to stay alive and healthy the whole time. I think it'd be great to see tomorrow, and many days after that.

I'm assuming I couldn't change the past - one guy in weird clothes with weird attitudes probably isn't going to get too far. But what would I like to see? There are so many moments in time where I would love to see how crowds really reacted - too many. So I'll take the easy road and say I would like to have seen one of Louis Armstrong's 1920s concerts.
But I would also kind of like to see what my corner of the world was like before humans.

The basics of taxonomy would have any scientist doing that, before or after. The practice was established long before Darwin went to work. If you describe a species, you need a type specimen which is preserved in a public access place for researchers to have a look at if they have questions. It keeps people from making up species, saying they saw them and named them and that's that.
So if you wish to describe a bird, or a fish, you have to collect it and preserve a specimen or two for the future. A good example of why this matters is that the Nazis wanted to prove their superiority, so they sent people out to collect and describe new species. They wanted to prove they could discover more than anyone else. As you can imagine, since success paid, they played fast and loose, and some killifish species, as an example, were described quite a few times under quite a few names. When people later tried to make sense of the relationships, they had to go to the preserved type specimens to prove that 'errors' had been made. Some fish had been given 5 or 6 names.

When the common krib was imported, it was given that name because an importer confused it with another species. Pelvicachromis pulcher is a kribensis to us, and Pelvicachromis kribensis isn't. How was it figured out that we were wrong? Type specimens.

I sacrificed some fish to a major DNA based study of killifish when that was a new process, and the paper produced by the scientists who did the study really changed our understanding of killifish evolution. I've also preserved unlucky fish from undescribed species and sent them off to researchers. I don't like it, but it makes perfect sense to me. I've stood at windows in natural history museums and looked at creatures Darwin worked on. It's an interesting experience.

Future? The last few decades have made me a pessimist, and I'm not sure I'd want to see 100 years along unless I had managed to stay alive and healthy the whole time. I think it'd be great to see tomorrow, and many days after that.
Does it really matter if a fish has five or six names, On the big scheme of things?

If I could not just go back but also change things I'd go back to kill Hitler and Stalin but I'd want to have the option to go back again to keep me from doing that if things turned out worse.

If I could not change things I guess it would be either to talk to Christ or to see the first critter come out of the ocean.

As far as forward... I think it just might be to see if the human race finds some sanity or if we destroy ourselves.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back