If not Fin Rot, what is it?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

John_Johnathan

Reaction score
Howdy,

I've got a GloFish Tetra (Raspberry - 4 yrs old) with a problem with two of his fins. None of the other fins are affected.

I became aware of the problem about 3 weeks ago. Right around the time his tankmate of 4 years, had died.

So far the problem is affecting only his dorsal and anal fins.

At first I thought it was due to damage from him jumping over a barrier in the tank. Then I thought that it was due to depression/stress because of the loss of his tankmate. So I got him a new tank mate to help with that. Then I thought that it was due to fin rot.

So I ran him through a treatment of KanaPlex. That finished up last Thursday. I did not notice any particular change though.

I inquired further with my "fish doctor" and they said " Unfortunately it doesnt really appear to be fin rot as it normally presents itself, affecting all the fins and with more damage." They did not elaborate as to what it might be.

Please look through the pictures. Specifically at RaspberyFin03a and RaspberyFin03b. There is a circle around "something" that showed up on his anal fin, like 3 days after this started. It ...ummm.....mutated a bit ( Raspberry04 ), and the fell off, taking a section of his fin with it ( Raspberry0518_ ).

After he finished his treatment, I did a water change. The next day a large section of his Anal fin was missing ( Raspberry0617_ ).

Here is a link to pictures:

Those two fins look a little different daily. Today his had a little white spot on his dorsal fin ( Raspberry0810_b )

You can see that other than the two fins, he looks good. He eats fine. He lives in a 5 1/2 gallon tank that is very well attended to. Water quality isnt an issue as I do a partial water change, once a week. He's lived this way for the last four years.

Im trying to help the little guy, but I dont know where to go next. I was thinking of running him through a cycle of Maracyn two next....but unsure about that.

So, the two questions are
Whats wrong with him and What can I do about it?

Please advise.

Thanks much
-John

I'm guessing it's either fin rot or the fins are being damaged by something in the tank. What decorations do you have in the tank? Plastic plants? Sharp decor? What other livestock is in the tank?

Can you also post your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH, KH, water temp). Also let us know when and how you do water changes and clean your substrate. There are a lot of great folks on the forum to help you troubleshoot.

Howdy,

I've got a GloFish Tetra (Raspberry - 4 yrs old) with a problem with two of his fins. None of the other fins are affected.

I became aware of the problem about 3 weeks ago. Right around the time his tankmate of 4 years, had died.

So far the problem is affecting only his dorsal and anal fins.

At first I thought it was due to damage from him jumping over a barrier in the tank. Then I thought that it was due to depression/stress because of the loss of his tankmate. So I got him a new tank mate to help with that. Then I thought that it was due to fin rot.

So I ran him through a treatment of KanaPlex. That finished up last Thursday. I did not notice any particular change though.

I inquired further with my "fish doctor" and they said " Unfortunately it doesnt really appear to be fin rot as it normally presents itself, affecting all the fins and with more damage." They did not elaborate as to what it might be.

Please look through the pictures. Specifically at RaspberyFin03a and RaspberyFin03b. There is a circle around "something" that showed up on his anal fin, like 3 days after this started. It ...ummm.....mutated a bit ( Raspberry04 ), and the fell off, taking a section of his fin with it ( Raspberry0518_ ).

After he finished his treatment, I did a water change. The next day a large section of his Anal fin was missing ( Raspberry0617_ ).

Here is a link to pictures:

Those two fins look a little different daily. Today his had a little white spot on his dorsal fin ( Raspberry0810_b )

You can see that other than the two fins, he looks good. He eats fine. He lives in a 5 1/2 gallon tank that is very well attended to. Water quality isnt an issue as I do a partial water change, once a week. He's lived this way for the last four years.

Im trying to help the little guy, but I dont know where to go next. I was thinking of running him through a cycle of Maracyn two next....but unsure about that.

So, the two questions are
Whats wrong with him and What can I do about it?

Please advise.

Thanks much
-John
Hi john,
So sorry you and your fish are going through this, its horrible isnt it having to play guessing games because they cannot tell you whats wrong.
Looking at picture RaspberyFin03b it almost looks like his scales are abit rough, almost like hes hurting himself on an ornament or something ruff??.
Have you though about maybe some kind of parasite with there seeming to be growth type things that fall away after a while. In picture RaspberyFin03b aswell he seems to have another sort of growth, spot just between the fin on the top and the tail fin. Im not very "up" on glow fish so im not sure if this is supposed to be there?. I really hope you find a conclusion for this beautiful lil guy...fingers crossed ?

I'm guessing it's either fin rot or the fins are being damaged by something in the tank. What decorations do you have in the tank? Plastic plants? Sharp decor? What other livestock is in the tank?

Can you also post your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH, KH, water temp). Also let us know when and how you do water changes and clean your substrate. There are a lot of great folks on the forum to help you troubleshoot.
Hi. Thanks for your reply.

RE: "I'm guessing it's either fin rot or the fins are being damaged by something in the tank"
- So you have heard of Fin Rot only affecting two fins?
RE: " What decorations do you have in the tank? Plastic plants? Sharp decor? What other livestock is in the tank?"
- There are plastic plants and a couple rock sculpture like things in the tank...but there are no sharp edges. Its only him and his tank mate in there.
RE: Parameters:
- Ph is 6.8/7.0 ish, (Faint blue-ish), Ammonia is 0 (Yellow), Nitrite is 0 (Faint blue), Nitrate is 20 to 40.. I do 1/2 water change, once a week via hose so the substrate is vacumed at the same time because I go around the tank with it as the water is going out.

Hi john,
So sorry you and your fish are going through this, its horrible isnt it having to play guessing games because they cannot tell you whats wrong.
Looking at picture RaspberyFin03b it almost looks like his scales are abit rough, almost like hes hurting himself on an ornament or something ruff??.
Have you though about maybe some kind of parasite with there seeming to be growth type things that fall away after a while. In picture RaspberyFin03b aswell he seems to have another sort of growth, spot just between the fin on the top and the tail fin. Im not very "up" on glow fish so im not sure if this is supposed to be there?. I really hope you find a conclusion for this beautiful lil guy...fingers crossed ?
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yah, it is pretty stressful. As mentioned I guessed 3 different things and went with Fin Rot and did the Kanaplex. That didnt appear to work so now Im scrambling around trying to find out what to do next.
RE: Rough scales and hurting himself.
- That might just be the picture quality. His scales are all flat and smooth, as far as I can see. I posted a new picture today on the link. Its a pretty good one. Please view and see if you think the same. Other than him jumping that divider a couple times, I have never seen him running in to stuff, so I dont know how he could be hurting himself.
RE: " some kind of parasite with there seeming to be growth type things that fall away after a while"
- Yes, I thought of that...a parasite or something else..internal. Thats why I ran him through the Kanaplex. I put the pictures up because I thought that maybe, well if it isnt Fin Rot...then what is that "Growth" shown in RaspberyFin03a.?? And if or when It fell away, it did a lot of damage to those fins ( Dorsal/Anal). Also Im not really sure its gone. I keep checking his fins to see it they are growing back yet. Im not so sure they are.
If "something" is eating away at his fins, I gotta find the cure so I can help him.

Thanks for any advise.

I agree it looks like it could be some plastic plants or something... what else do you have in the tank?
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Theres not much in the tank. Yes, some plastic plastic plants and a couple imitation rock like sculptures decoration thingsm like you get at petco.. Its not over crowded and theres no sharp edges.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back