Idk how to close threads but I'm all good now lol

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ellie Potts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
UPDATE (11/18/20): I now have 2 Siamese Algae Eaters which I got from a fish store that was a bit of a drive away, but worth it. I wanted the fish because they're from the riverbanks in Thailand and Myanmar (the theme of my tank). I promise I understand I need to deal with any algae issues with adjustments to air, light, or heat and not a fish :lol:. Thanks to all who helped out!

I really want to get a Siamese Algae Eater, but I don't have a local fish store so I have to rely on Petsmart/Petco. They both only list fish under "Algae Eater" which makes me nervous.
1605326006484.png
1605326057949.png

Neither of these fish are what I want... right? I'm new to this 'genre' of fish and am very confused about where to buy one. They're supposedly very common in fish stores, so I don't really want to spend $40 shipping on a $5 fish.

Last edited:
Just grab up a rubberlip pleco. Start there. They are cheap, and voracious algae eating catfish. Unless you have a 75 gallon tank or bigger, avoid a common pleco, as they get pretty large. Most rubberlips get about 4-6 inches. They should have a variety at both those locations to pick from.

Down the road you can look into.other species.

Just grab up a rubberlip pleco. Start there. They are cheap, and voracious algae eating catfish. Unless you have a 75 gallon tank or bigger, avoid a common pleco, as they get pretty large. Most rubberlips get about 4-6 inches. They should have a variety at both those locations to pick from.

Down the road you can look into.other species.
Well I've looked into bristlenose plecos but I'd really like to keep as many of the fish from Thailand as possible. I also like the size of the Siamese Algae eater for my 55 gallon.

I have 2 siamese algae eaters in my 38 gallon tank. They aren't the greatest algae eaters in there I gotta admit. They take care of hair algae and stuff, but mostly go nuts for food dropped in the tank. Otherwise they hang out under bushes and stuff.

If you get them, make sure you get actual siamese algae eaters. Lots of places confuse them for other fish, especially when they are young. Their stripe makes them look similar to an oto.

Rubber lip plecos need harder water and need a current to thrive, id avoid a rubber lip unless you have harder water and want some good current in your tank.

A BN pleco would be a better choice...
But if you are looking for "algae eating" fish, to fight algae, best bet is to instead just look at lighting and feeding regimes that contribute to algae instead

But of you want them just because you like them, then thats something to look into.
The fish in your photo is a Chinese algae eater and they become more carnivorous as they grow and are known to eat the slime coat off other fish. They'd be something to really research before getting.

Siamese algae eaters should be in groups and theyre much more community friendly but downside may be locating them as you've found.

Rubber lip plecos need harder water and need a current to thrive, id avoid a rubber lip unless you have harder water and want some good current in your tank.

A BN pleco would be a better choice...
But if you are looking for "algae eating" fish, to fight algae, best bet is to instead just look at lighting and feeding regimes that contribute to algae instead

But of you want them just because you like them, then thats something to look into.
The fish in your photo is a Chinese algae eater and they become more carnivorous as they grow and are known to eat the slime coat off other fish. They'd be something to really research before getting.

Siamese algae eaters should be in groups and theyre much more community friendly but downside may be locating them as you've found.
Ugh! That's what I thought. I really like them... if only they weren't so often confused with such an aggressive fish. If anyone knows a chain where I can pick them up or something please let me know!

I have 2 siamese algae eaters in my 38 gallon tank. They aren't the greatest algae eaters in there I gotta admit. They take care of hair algae and stuff, but mostly go nuts for food dropped in the tank. Otherwise they hang out under bushes and stuff.

If you get them, make sure you get actual siamese algae eaters. Lots of places confuse them for other fish, especially when they are young. Their stripe makes them look similar to an oto.
I'm jealous... where'd you get yours? I assume not a chain :( be careful they don't get too big for the 38 lol I've read they grow fast

If you have a local fish store, rather than a chain store, they might be able to order some in for you of you like the siamese algae eaters.

Alternatively you could look into perhaps some of the smaller botia loaches? The zebra botia loaches are neat, or yoyo loaches. A group of 6 or more would work great in a 55

If you have a local fish store, rather than a chain store, they might be able to order some in for you of you like the siamese algae eaters.

Alternatively you could look into perhaps some of the smaller botia loaches? The zebra botia loaches are neat, or yoyo loaches. A group of 6 or more would work great in a 55
I don't really have a local fish store that isn't an hour away. It's been a real bummer. Maybe I'll just say screw it and drive the extra length. Petco doesn't have a great range of fish lol

I have a lfs I I got them from. They were about an inch long when I got them. Looked like little oto's at a glance, but you could tell they weren't with a good look. I originally got 3, but 1 has since vanished. I assume it was snail food at some point in there. The other 2 got about 4 inches long and have ceased growing. They hang out under the plants and come out for the goodies when I drop them in.

I have a lfs I I got them from. They were about an inch long when I got them. Looked like little oto's at a glance, but you could tell they weren't with a good look. I originally got 3, but 1 has since vanished. I assume it was snail food at some point in there. The other 2 got about 4 inches long and have ceased growing. They hang out under the plants and come out for the goodies when I drop them in.
I managed to find a local breeder and now own 2! Although they've been doing a weird dance fighting thing? I posted a different thread about it but got no responses

The best way to control algae is to plant the tank heavily and then get the right amount of light and heat. Algae doesn't like tank that are oxygen rich. Like above if you just want a cool fish, look at bristle nose cats

The best way to control algae is to plant the tank heavily and then get the right amount of light and heat. Algae doesn't like tank that are oxygen rich. Like above if you just want a cool fish, look at bristle nose cats
I actually ended up finding 2 Siamese Algae Eaters. I don't want them because they'll clean the tank, but more because they're a cool fish that comes from the place I wanted (riverbanks of Thailand and Myanmar)

Chinese algae eater are from Thailand you know that?

It doesn’t even come from China?!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back