Identification

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

NottmFishKeeper

Reaction score
Hello all

I hope youā€™re well.
First post but long time lurker so looking for your advice please. Iā€™m not sure it is algae so please move to correct forum as you see fit.
i inherited a 240 litre tank over 2 years ago and keep it as a community tank with no real issues. Regular water changes although I did go through a period where I was slack. But back on top now. I would still consider myself a newbie but I am getting the bug more so recently and researching and learning.
I have scoured the internet for the last few days and cannot find anything.
I have these black small hard balls on sand substrate. I remove them but always appear. Some are small and some although small are larger
Pictures attached.can anyone advise please?

thanks
Nathan

Attachments

• 19A87312-37DA-4C22-ADD4-3E0423A25AFA.jpeg
    19A87312-37DA-4C22-ADD4-3E0423A25AFA.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 8FFBDB7C-2FC2-496D-92EF-D20B7C331493.jpeg
    8FFBDB7C-2FC2-496D-92EF-D20B7C331493.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 75
Welcome to TFF! :hi:

Do you use any root tabs? Did you previously have black gravel in the tank?

yea, they look like rocks or soomething coming out from underneath
can you smash it or no

Hi PhoenixKingZ! :)

thanks for your reply.
Root tabs are not used. I have never used gravel. Whilst Iā€™ve had it, always sand. Not sure about itā€™s previous owner.

yea, they look like rocks or soomething coming out from underneath
can you smash it or no
Hello Sgoosh. Thanks for your reply.
If I squeeze them between thumb and finger, it takes some effort but they crush into a dust.

I have honestly searched the internet high and low.
Thanks again.

Hi PhoenixKingZ! :)

thanks for your reply.
Root tabs are not used. I have never used gravel. Whilst Iā€™ve had it, always sand. Not sure about itā€™s previous owner.

Hello Sgoosh. Thanks for your reply.
If I squeeze them between thumb and finger, it takes some effort but they crush into a dust.

I have honestly searched the internet high and low.
Thanks again.
hmm, maybe from the current some small dust sands have condensed together, and formed some small sandstones

So I have had a better look now as it was annoying me. What I have found is that below the sand, towards the back half of the tank is a lot of gravel which has been covered in sand. There are loads more of these black balls when I disturb the gravel underneath the sand. Looks like dirt when I crush them

Do people have a base level of gravel and then cover in sand on top?

I was constantly cleaning these black balls up. I have a new 6 inch plec which is burrowing and lifting these balls to the Surface. Which means Iā€™m never winning.

Looks like tropica aquasoil to me... Previous owner probably had a layer of at the back to plant into then capped it with sand ??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back