Identification please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishfinder1973

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Is this a false julii Cory (trilineatus)

Attachments

• CC78D912-9E56-4442-93AA-72D9924B697B.jpeg
    CC78D912-9E56-4442-93AA-72D9924B697B.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 76
This one is smaller,but is it the same species or a true julii?
This one is much stockier in build,but because it’s half the size I can’t really tell.
Much appreciated

ian

Attachments

• 66D7222F-E828-49D3-A73E-3AB4BD768DC2.png
    66D7222F-E828-49D3-A73E-3AB4BD768DC2.png
    936.5 KB · Views: 70
The pictured fish is likely Corydoras trilineatus. It is definitely not C. julii; the pattern on the head of C. julii is clearly dots (see photos attached), whereas on the pictured fish in posts 1 and 2 it is reticulated. The two photos also demonstrate how the lateral black line can be quite variable from individual fish to fish in this species.

I know why so many refer to C. trilineatus as "false julii," but that is only spreading more confusion as there is no such fish as a "false" C.julii. C. trilineatus could be called a three-stripe cory, but frankly all common names are misleading most of the time unless the common name is the scientific species epithet, as for example with panda, and adolfoi, and julii itself.

I said "likely" above because there is a very similar cory which has not yet been described so it is usually termed Corydoras aff. trilineatus. Both are in lineage 9 of the polyphyletic genus Corydoras, so closely related phylogenetically. C. julii occurs in watercourses in the Amazon River basin, the Peruvian Amazon and coastal drainages of Suriname. C. aff. trilineatus occurs in Venezuela, which is geographically separated, so knowing where the fish was caught/exported from can give a clue as to the species. But whichever, care and requirements are the same.

Attachments

• Corydoras julii2.jpg
    Corydoras julii2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Corydoras julii1.jpg
    Corydoras julii1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 102
Yours sort of look like mine:
View attachment 136334View attachment 136335
I was told by @CassCats that they were False Julii’s, but it appears that she may have been wrong.

They are Corydoras trilineatus, not C. julii. It is the "common" name of "false julii" that is wrong, there is no such fish officially (accordinng to Corydoras World and Planet Catfish, and given the individual owners of these two sites they would certainly know).

I was told by @CassCats that they were False Julii’s, but it appears that she may have been wrong.
She was correct, false Julii Corydoras are Corydoras trilineatus, like the OPs fish. False julii isn't their real name, they should be called three lined or three striped corydoras.

They are Corydoras trilineatus, not C. julii. It is the "common" name of "false julii" that is wrong, there is no such fish officially (accordinng to Corydoras World and Planet Catfish, and given the individual owners of these two sites they would certainly know).
She was correct, false Julii Corydoras are Corydoras trilineatus, like the OPs fish. False julii isn't their real name, they should be called three lined or three striped corydoras.
Thank you both! (Sorry to hijack your thread @Fishfinder1973)

The fish in the picture I expect to be a C.gomezi (or C102).

This one isn't either C.trilineatus nor C.julii

The fish in the picture I expect to be a C.gomezi (or C102).

This one isn't either C.trilineatus nor C.julii

Yes, I certainly won't dispute, thanks. :drinks:

Thanks very much for all the replies.Unfortunately the corydoras expert in the shop I purchased them from was busy during my visit and there were no names on that particular tank.Looking at the photos of c.gomezi (c102) I would agree with that,so thank you double Dutch.
I have a full moon betta to pick up next week and you all can be sure I will be asking the shop “expert” to confirm the identity.
The expertise and info gained on this forum is second to none and I feel in good hands.
Thanks again.

ian

Thanks very much for all the replies.Unfortunately the corydoras expert in the shop I purchased them from was busy during my visit and there were no names on that particular tank.Looking at the photos of c.gomezi (c102) I would agree with that,so thank you double Dutch.
I have a full moon betta to pick up next week and you all can be sure I will be asking the shop “expert” to confirm the identity.
The expertise and info gained on this forum is second to none and I feel in good hands.
Thanks again.

ia

Thanks again.

ian
To be more clear C.gomezi and C102 are 2 seperate species. To me C.gomezi is the smallest.

Oh,I thought they were the same.
The bigger Cory of the two photos is about 2 and a half inches.
Thanks for pointing that out DoubleDutch.
Mmmm sorry overlooked the second one.
Thought the fist one was the smallest.
Then I change my answer hahaha.
Second one is definitely a C.trilineatus.
The first one being bigger (thought it was smaller) could probably be C.leopardus then (being the biggest type of the look alikes)
The snoutshape tells it isn't a trilineatus for sure (those have a kind of "parrot-snout")
Gomezi has a longer snout as well but is smaller than C.leopardus.

Confusing thing is every species has several different appearances as well.
Apologies for the confusion.

I took this of both at close quarters.the bottom Cory has a much longer snout and is bigger.
Thanks DoubleDutch
72250B75-6E08-416D-9BC7-2AB76893DA12.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back