Ideas On Fish To Add? 190 Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hexy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 190l tank set up and wanted some ideas on some new tankmates to add. I have been going for a planted / bogwood style tank but would like maybe another shoal and also maybe something that is easy to breed and that looks after its fry. also a personality if possible

Currently have:

Trio apistogramma cacatuoides
3 otocinclus affinis
20 cardinal tetra
3 platies

All options appreciated! Was thinking some discus? or a type of cichlid as never really given them a go, though sceptical with my apisto's who im also hoping to breed

thanks
hexy

Discus need a lot more than 190L and it's probably only big enough for dwarf cichlids. Have you looked at maybe getting some kribensis cichlids, let them form a pair then re home the others? They are very nice and don't get big... Maybe 4 inches as a rough guess. They do get aggressive though when breeding.

I would add Ram Cichlids, German or Bolivian depending on the tankmates parameters.

Discus wouldn't be a good choice, bolivian rams would be better, but kribs can be quite aggressive, not my recommendation. You have enough room to support some larger cichlids like firemouths, keyholes, and festivums, but I'd be worried about them eventually eating your cardinal tetras. Firemouths can also be a bit unpredictable in terms of temperament.

Some pearl gouramis might work, but gouramis are not my area of specialties, so don't look at me there, just throwing it in to consideration.

If you ask me, maybe go for a pair of bolivian rams, then up the numbers a little on your cardinal tetras and otos, and call it good :good:

Discus wouldn't be a good choice, bolivian rams would be better, but kribs can be quite aggressive, not my recommendation. You have enough room to support some larger cichlids like firemouths, keyholes, and festivums, but I'd be worried about them eventually eating your cardinal tetras. Firemouths can also be a bit unpredictable in terms of temperament.

Some pearl gouramis might work, but gouramis are not my area of specialties, so don't look at me there, just throwing it in to consideration.

If you ask me, maybe go for a pair of bolivian rams, then up the numbers a little on your cardinal tetras and otos, and call it good :good:

Thanks all for your comments. Would other cichlids work with the apistogrammas? I have never gone with Rams before but they do look interesting.
Also considered getting a shoal of Tiger barbs but know these can be aggressive?
Ideally would like a peaceful cichlid or similar that looks after their broad and will live with what i have?
also love the cardinals so would need to get on with these!
thanks

I agree with what's already been said. Bolivians and GBRs are peaceful, but make sure they have plenty of caves etc so that they can form their own territories. I wouldn't recommend tiger barbs in a community tank, they're very aggressive!

I am keen to go with the Rams route and give them a go. Saw Bolivian Rams in my LFS - though at £8 each seemed a little excessive?

Also they have some Parrot fish - does anyone have thoughts on these? Would they each my cardinals?

Lastly, I love the look of firemouths but worried they would get too big, and also the idea they may eat my cardinals?

I wil probably get a shoal of vietnamese cardinal minnows today too....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back