id shark

OP
X

xamdarb

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
just curious can they fit in a 70 gallon and...could they be with a convict and tiger barbs and one guarami

SPLiSH

Bettas are better!
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't know anything about them other than their name. Wish I could be of more help. :(

You'd more likely get an answer to your question in the Cyprinids, Characins and Atherinids board though. :thumbs:

yvez9

you don't know JACK FISH
Reaction score
They can reach over 3 feet in length and weigh 30 pounds!
Also, they like to shoal so you should keep at least 8 in a 20x8 feet aquarium :)

If you can provide this habitat, i'll look up a good pH range for these sharks :p

Fiddlesticks

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Im my humble opinion I dont think anyone should buy id sharks for a home aquarium. Yes I do have 3 so I am saying this from experience. Mine were inherited so of course I will continue to provide the best home I can for them but I would never never ever buy one. Yes they do get around 3 feet long in fact I think there is a pinned topic with pictures of many different catfish and If I remember correctly there is an id shark there. They are also spooked very very very easily and Im my opinion can be a danger to other fish in the same tank. If spooked they swim around so frantically that you can hear them bouncing off the glass which spooks them further. I have even seen one knock itself unconcious for a moment. Imagine your other fish having to share a space with that. Now the sharks have a tank to themselves which will eventually be too small and I dont know what I will do then. Hope this helps

Fidd :D

Fella

Research!
Reaction score
Iridescent Sharks have no place in home aquaria.

bunjiweb

mmmmmmmarines
Reaction score
Fiddlesticks said:
Im my humble opinion I dont think anyone should buy id sharks for a home aquarium. Yes I do have 3 so I am saying this from experience. Mine were inherited so of course I will continue to provide the best home I can for them but I would never never ever buy one. Yes they do get around 3 feet long in fact I think there is a pinned topic with pictures of many different catfish and If I remember correctly there is an id shark there. They are also spooked very very very easily and Im my opinion can be a danger to other fish in the same tank. If spooked they swim around so frantically that you can hear them bouncing off the glass which spooks them further. I have even seen one knock itself unconcious for a moment. Imagine your other fish having to share a space with that. Now the sharks have a tank to themselves which will eventually be too small and I dont know what I will do then. Hope this helps

Fidd :D
[snapback]907526[/snapback]​

Public Aquarium or a tropical pond? :)

Ben

Teelie

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Same as Channel Cats, Arrowanas, Red Tailed Cats and a dozen other species; people will buy them not realizing the size and then stunt them, they die, they replace them. Occasionally you run into a person that actually knows what they're doing and has an appropriate sized aquarium but that's rare compared to the number bought.

Fiddlesticks

Fish Addict
Reaction score
For profit.
[snapback]907989[/snapback]​

Exactly. Greed is what seems to be driving the aquarium industry these days unfortunately.
Has anyone else noticed the growing number of dyed fish appearing at big als lately. Last time I was in there I could barely find any natural fish. They even have this hybrid rainbowfish now. :angry:

dleonard

Reaction score
I have 2 i.d. sharks in a 35 gallon tank with other tropical fish, they are doing fine so far, I've been told that they get about 12 inches, I'm already setting a new 125 gallon for them, it will be ready by december. Theyare very shy fish, so I think if I get a bigger tank they will be happier, also I find that they don't like lights, they hide when the lights are on.

andywg

Bored into leaving
Reaction score
Sadly I fear you may have been misinformed. I seem to recall that the smallest of the Pangassius species gets to 2 feet. You're probably looking at 200 gallons as an absolute minimum but to be honest, you want a giant tank or a pond for these.

Most reactions