Id My Pleco Please.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dawsss18

Reaction score
I have a Pleco, I thought it was a common Pleco but the colourings and pattern is different to my other common Pleco, so it got me wondering if this is something different. Many thanks in advance.

The Pleco is about 5-6 inch long From the tip of it's tail to the front of it's mouth.

Sorry the photo isn't brilliant. I'll try get some better ones when it moves.

pleco.jpg

Attachments

• pleco 2.jpg
    pleco 2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 123
  • pleco 3.jpg
    pleco 3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 129
Yeah, going to need a better pic than that, I'm afraid.

I think it might be a gibbi, but I couldn't be positive from that pic :)

fluttermoth said:
Yeah, going to need a better pic than that, I'm afraid.

I think it might be a gibbi, but I couldn't be positive from that pic
smile.png
i totally understand, i took about 10 photos and that was the best because of the position its in, i will try get more :) 

I know; terrible fish to try and get decent pics of! Best of luck!

Got some better photos (it came to the glass at the side of the tank) ... as you can see it seems to have lighter shade of strips over its head and then down its body. 

Many thanks in advance

(photos are up on my first post)

It's a common, as far as I can make out.

Those stripes are 'stress' colouration; the fish might be upset or cross about something. Is it in with the other plec? It might be getting bullied a bit, or kept out of the best caves; something like that.

really? .. i've just caught it and put it into the bigger fish tank so maybe the stress from catching it has done that then? 

thanks for clarifying it for me. 

Yes, that could well be it; most fish get a bit cross when they're moved.

It can be very difficult to know why, exactly, a fish has put on it's 'stress' colours; it doesn't always mean they're stressed; it can be camouflage too.

It's just a common pleco. Your substrate and light colored pebbles is making it blend more perfectly. I had a common pleco that turned reddish brown with maroon markings after moving it to an orange gravel substrate.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back