ICK!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

amityv

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I cleaned my tank Sunday, and today woke up to a 55 gallon tank with 12 fish in it with white spots all over them. I didn't notice it yesterday when i fed them, just today when i woke up. I freaked out. The only thing i can think of that happened was that i cleaned a minnow tank of my husbands and used the same bucket. So maybe they was diseased. I ran the bucket under hot water but am assuming it i didn't get it all.
Anyhow, the one fish i am mainly concerned about is my Clown knife. he isn't acting normal. he usually is a big eater, and he won't eat. the only meds i had on hand for diseases and ICK was Aquari-Sol made byAquarium products,Glen Burnie,MD 21061.
Its for Cure and preventative of Ick,closed fins,body fungus,velvet, and other parasite infestations. It says to remove carbon, raise temp to 85degrees daily until cured. But i am not sure if it was safe for my clown knife. i took my frog out and put him in another tank. It says its safe for all fish,but do not use on snails,grass shrimp,crayfish,lobsters,invertebrates,amphibians.
Is a clown knife an Invertebrate? I don't want him to die. i have had him for 1 1/2 years and he has gotten so big. i just love him.
Any advise?

No, a clown knife is not an invertebrate. All fish are vertebrates, meaning they all have a backbone with vertebrae. Basically just follow the instructions on the bottle , along with raising the temp, should get rid of the ick in a couple of weeks. What other fish do you have in there? I can't imagine a 55 gallon with a clown knife and 12 other fish in there, at least not fish of the same size. If they are smaller fish I would have thought they'd be lunch for the clown knife by now. Either your tank is overcrowded or your other fish are in danger IMO. Also a 55 gallon won't be big enough for a clown knife forever.

I have had this tank since July 2002 and all the same fish except for my clown knife since i got my tank. He has never bothered any of my fish and none of my smaller fish at all. i keep him fed good though.lol He is very nonagressive. Never had a problem with him at all eating my fish. I have had more probs with my redtipped shark than anything else. he's a bully in the tank.
Now my Jack Dempsey in my other tank. he's another story! He's a monster and eat's everything that enters his tank, and if he could get ahold of one of my cats, i am sure they would be lunch too when they walk by his tank.
Anyways my 55 gallon has
1 Clown Knife
2 Tin foil barbs
1 silver dollar
3 algae/bottom feeders
1 albino Plec
1 plec
1 butterfly(thats what they called it) Neat looking thing swims at surface
1 swortail
1 redtipped shark
1 frog
1 snail

Most of these fish was given to me by friends and family who didn't wanna mess with fish anymore. So instead of them dying in there tanks cause they wouldn't take care of them, or being flushed, i took them. :flex:
But ther clown knife i purchased myself at a LFS about 1 1/2 years ago. I love him to death! he is so cool. I love to watch his eyes glow at night when he swims. Neat!

I'm beginning to wonder if its something else, like velvet. or maybe both!
I was just looking at my silver dollar and he has white spots all over him and some white peices ,like cotton, hanging off of him as he swims. looks kinda like his slime coating is coming off or something.
Its so hard to describe. but he's the only one thats doing that.the others are just covered in white tiny spots!

Ok. First off I need to tell you that your tank is extremely overstocked. Just one clown knife in that tank, with maybe a plec would be pushing it. The butterflyfish is fine, doesn't take up much space, but I'd get rid of one plec, the tinfoil barbs, and the shark. The swordtail will probably get eaten soon. :(

Now as for the disease you are describing it does sound like velvet or some form of fungus. Actually one of my angels had the exact same thing. It started out as ich and developed into something completely different, with little bits of white material hanging off of it. This happened even while I was treating, so I don't know what to say other than try a treatment and hope for the best. (My angel didn't make it through this ordeal, but I hope your clown knife does) Good luck.

My clown knife is still hanging in there, but still isn't acting well. If its ick, will that kill him, or could it be something more serious?
He hangs out at ther top of the tank now instead of at the bottom like he has for over a year. I upped the temp to 84-85 degrees, and added the aquarisol like it said, today and yesterday. How long will it take before the white spots will be gone, or should i try something else?

Most reactions

Back