Ich [Ick]

Butterfly Betta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
First thing, I'd like to point out that I know this wasn't the proper cure, and I advise others not to follow unless they know 100% what they are doing.

If you feel this doesn't fit here, please move to where it is more suiting.

Anyways, about two weeks ago my first four Bettas [1 male, 3 females] ended up with ich. I did all the research for the cure, and asked on another forum. I always got the same answer, I needed meds to cure it.

But it was impossible for me to get any meds because I had broken my left ankle playing street hockey. {I was playing with guys, and I am a girl [my full name is Patricia]}.

Also, my parents nor my brother would have no idea what to get, so I thought for sure, the fish were dead.

Since the tank was in my room, [moved to the basement now], I could keep my eye on the fish and do what i could to try and help them out.

Here are the things I did, DO NOT FOLLOW CAUSE THIS ISN'T PROPER CURE.

First, I put in some Melafix and raised the temperature of the tank to 82 degrees.

Second, added two tablespoons for every 5 gallons, twice what i usually added, of aquarium salt.

Third, i added some "Jungle-Fungus Clear" to the tank which lasts about three days.

During a five day period, I did regular water changes [espiecally the bottom of the tank], added some aquarium salt during the third day. Also during the time period, I added Melafix every day.

By the end of the five day period, there was no ich [ick] and ever since there was no more ich [ick].

seems pretty accurate to me ;)

with my case -- i used maracide and raised temp a little past 80° and added aquarium salt plus frequent water changes. but instead of using maracide as a 5-day treatment like the box instructed... i came across some advice to keep using the treatment every other day until the ich was no longer visible plus an addition 5 extra days on top of that. and i must say - worked like a charm! cos mrfishy is still as healthy as can be :wub: but there do seem to be a lot of different procedures out there so everybody's got their own ways of dealing with the problem. i don't really think there is a proper way. so long as it works... it's all good! right??

ps hope your ankle is better :flowers:

I've been reading a few books that say to just add salt , raise the temp and do 50% water changes till the ick is gone...I've been using salt and doing water changes every other day and it's looking good so far.

that theory is good but it wouldn't work for people who have loaches and other catfish in the tank cause from what i read loaches and catfish won't tolerate salt.

For the tanks with those fish, I just use water changes and temp raise. I was using all kinds of meds, but it never helped..just stressed out my fish and turned everything blue :(

Most reactions

Back