Ich emergency

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Also, I canā€™t change the water, as I have no place to put the other fish
I have the fish with ich in a used large goldfish flake container

Hmm. What else is in that tank? And I wouldnā€™t consider it all taken care of because one of them is gone, the bacteria will continue to live in the water until it is removed. Still do a water change & raise the temp & make adjustments to make sure the rest of your fish donā€™t follow the same fate or die from an illness.

You donā€™t need to remove the fish to do a water change. I would do a 50-75% water change leaving the fish in place and slowly replace with fresh, treated, dechlorinated water.

Do a 50-75% water change every day for about a week while treating the tank and you should see improvement assuming your parameters are all well & good.

Also, in that last pic you posted of the fish with the ich, that is not a platy, nor guppy, nor pleco.
Can you tell us what size tank you have an exactly what is in it at this moment that you are having an issue with? Do you have another tank with different fish?
You also said there were 2 fry.. is that right or is one now missing?
What are your water parameters?

It was an iredecant shark,10 gal, 4 different tanks with goldfish, and 2 with guppies, and a Betta, the 2 fry are in a tank with baby guppies(I found them), I do not know the paremiters, as I donā€™t have a tester.

I finished the first water change and should I add more filtration

I would strongly recommend buying a test kit. Especially if you have that many tanks. PetSmart has master kits (ammonia, PH low & high range, nitrite & nitrate) for $22 or less. It is a small investment for a whole world of information & making sure your fish are safe and comfortable.

The photo you posted looks more like a flying fox fish than a shark, sorry. That may be incorrect depending on age, however we only have a photo of the back to tell.

It can take 10+ days for ich to appear. It is not uncommon to have fish that appear normal but are indeed carrying the parasite. Ich is a protozoan parasite. It could have been transferred to your fish through the water in its initial tank. Obviously we donā€™t know where your fish came from, but if a single fish in its tank carried the parasite, your fish will be affected- whether it is visible or not. If your fish are stressed, they are more susceptible to infection- something you would be able to determine with an adequate test kit.

Keep up with the water changes and I highly suggest adding Melafix or aquarium salt to save the fish you do have in that tank.

If you have recently added new fish to your other tanks consider raising temp and treating them as well if any are showing signs of stress (lingering at the top or bottom of the tank, red gills, etc.)

And absolutely get yourself a comprehensive water test kit. Your fish will thank you.

Your shrimp may not do well with the melafix, just so you know. I unfortunately lost a few shrimp treating tanks. They are very delicate.

Last edited:
Good to know I donā€™t need that fish to die

They are some of my favorites. If they are indeed the Fox fish, Iā€™m not sure how long you have had them, but be sure they have enough algae to snack on. They are algae eaters & will eat it all up plus any algae wafers you throw in for them. Donā€™t overfeed but if you have a better pic we can determine exactly what they are for ya.

It doesnā€™t eat much

Post a pic if you can please. Does it look like this in the light?
567C885C-D760-47EB-8041-54A2D3025FF7.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back