I Would Like A Nano Reef

jpeterson

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a 12 US gallon fish tank. Its the fishbox 48l from interpet. It has a 100w heater and a stingray elite 10 filter. It has T5 compact day light bulb and moonlight bulb.

I know i would need some sand and around 5-6kg of live rock. I am just unsure on weather i would need a protein skimmer and what i do to get the water in the right conditions.

Any suggestions are welcome. Don't be shy ;)

Jamie

Any suggestions are welcome. Don't be shy ;)

Jamie

:p Jamie, dont think anyone has ever called us shy, shy we aint :lol:

First up, what are your plans for the 12 gallon, it is very small and not suitable for most fish? Would make a great little tank for a shrimp and a small hermit and with regular water changes you may get away with the smallest of gobies.

You dont need a skimmer on a tank this size as water changes are so easy and small :good:

So, tell us your plans

Seffie x

Ok here were my plants!

Substrate: Live sand
Live rock: Aquacultured Rock (6.5-7kg)
Coral: Frogspawn, Green Star Polyps and Zoanthids
Livestock: A pair of Ocellaris Clownfish or Clown Gobby (someone told me possibly a dwarf fuzzy lionfish)

Filter starts:
Pumps up to 200 litres per hour. Operates with two carbon/zeolite filter cartridges and one foam filter set

Ok here were my plants!

Substrate: Live sand dont bother buying live sand, its a rip off
Live rock: Aquacultured Rock (6.5-7kg) :good:
Coral: Frogspawn, Green Star Polyps and Zoanthids Lighting is fine for these
Livestock: A pair of Ocellaris Clownfish, tank is way too small or Clown Gobby probably ok (someone told me possibly a dwarf fuzzy lionfish) I wouldnt put one of those in such a small tank, they are messy eaters and cause a lot of waste
Filter starts:
Pumps up to 200 litres per hour. Operates with two carbon/zeolite filter cartridges and one foam filter set - you will not need this but you will need a powerhead for flow around the rock - you could use the filter to run phosphate or nitrate remover but with a tank that small that really should be taken care of with weekly water changes of 20-25%

Ok so I can just use the play sand £3 for 10kg from asda the same as i used for my tropic tank? Awesome! Saved me some pennies. Coral is sorted. Great! Clown gobby(nice but throw some more suggestions at me!)Which type of filter?

your live rock is your filter so all you need is a power head. :good: i would get this one. http://www.reefstore.co.uk/shop/Koralia-Evolution-1600-Circulation-Pump.html you might get away with the 900 but i dont know. ps sorry if you dont live in the uk. cos then the link would be useless :blush:

No, no, no - not play sand - coral/aragonite sand but it is still cheaper than live sand :good:

Live rock = heart and lungs = filter of water

Seffie x

Ok so i sorted my fish out. 2 Goldtail Demoiselle

So is this correct:

Live rock: Aquacultured Rock (6.5-7kg)
Substrate: Coral/Aragonite Sand (10kg)
Livestock: Goldtail Demoiselle
Coral: Octopus Frogspawn, Green Star Polyps and Zoanthids

Equiptment: Koralia Evolution 1600 Circulation Pump, T5 daylight and T5 moonlight, Water changes would sort out phosphate or nitrate.

Edit: Oh and a Master API kits for salt-water and a hydro metre?

All is good except the yellow tailed damsels, they are too big for your tank, need at least 20 gallons, the same as a pair of clowns

Seffi ex

You totally sure? To my research they need around 5gallon each. So 2 would be 10 gallons and i have 12gallons :/

http://www.nano-reef.com/fish/?fish=14

Yellowtail Damselfish need at least 20 Gallons if not 30 Gallons there are very few if any saltwater fish that would be suitable for a 12 Gallon maybe something like a clown Goby

Ok, ummm i wanted something that would be visible. I may have to just wait for a bigger tank ;)

but if you filled it with corals it would look amazing. you may stop looking at the fish :lol:

but if you filled it with corals it would look amazing. you may stop looking at the fish :lol:

That's quiet true! Then I could bribe my Mam into getting a big tank when she sees how amazing this coral looks :p And it would also get me used to the salty side of stuff.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back