I Was Just Wondering

fish tell each other apart from the body shape of differnet species, thats why sometimes in community tanks different species of fish school with each other, because of similar body shape and markings.
 
Fish establish something of apecking order, It's kind of difficult to explain. I know that some of them go on pheremonal cues, others by markings.
 
Are we talking about telling apart individuals of the same species, or distinguishing between different species ?
 
Im not sure that they do tell each other apart. I think they simply have a natural instinct to prefer different body shapes and colours.

i.e. I dont think Mr Neon says to himself - "Oh look, there's another neon over there". He says instead - "Ooh, I'll go over there - I like blue stripes, I'll blend in nicely and no-one will see me".

Thats if they can even see colours!!
 
I was looking this up and it seems that fish do see colour, they have cones like us, we have 3 cones, but they perceivec colour much differently to us, also catfish are colour blind but have brilliant eyesight, and fish can count and are as intelligent as monkeys or small infants. Im guessing if they see a fish of the same size and shape as themselves they will swim with them rather than alone and easy pickings for preditors.

Marilyn sez, "In an experiment at the U. of Padua last year, female mosquito fish preferred to join shoals that were larger by just one fish, 'preferring shoals of four fish rather than three fish, and consistently preferring shoals of three fish over those containing just two.'"
This means that they have similar counting abilities to those observed in apes, monkeys and dolphins and humans with very limited mathematical ability.
Christian Agrillo, an experimental psychologist at the university of Padua in Italy said: "We have provided the first evidence that fish exhibit rudimentary mathematical abilities."
 
I was looking this up and it seems that fish do see colour, they have cones like us, we have 3 cones, but they perceivec colour much differently to us, also catfish are colour blind but have brilliant eyesight, and fish can count and are as intelligent as monkeys or small infants. Im guessing if they see a fish of the same size and shape as themselves they will swim with them rather than alone and easy pickings for preditors.

Marilyn sez, "In an experiment at the U. of Padua last year, female mosquito fish preferred to join shoals that were larger by just one fish, 'preferring shoals of four fish rather than three fish, and consistently preferring shoals of three fish over those containing just two.'"
This means that they have similar counting abilities to those observed in apes, monkeys and dolphins and humans with very limited mathematical ability.
Christian Agrillo, an experimental psychologist at the university of Padua in Italy said: "We have provided the first evidence that fish exhibit rudimentary mathematical abilities."

I'm sorry mate but thats the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard. Fish with the intellect of a primate or a young child? That's simply not true. Whilst they may show a preference to groups of certain size abd be able to distinguish between groups of certain sizes and choose accordingly, thats not to say they are able to count like you or I would, the 2 are completely different things.
And you have a lot more than 3 cone cells in your eye
 
I was looking this up and it seems that fish do see colour, they have cones like us, we have 3 cones, but they perceivec colour much differently to us, also catfish are colour blind but have brilliant eyesight, and fish can count and are as intelligent as monkeys or small infants. Im guessing if they see a fish of the same size and shape as themselves they will swim with them rather than alone and easy pickings for preditors.

Marilyn sez, "In an experiment at the U. of Padua last year, female mosquito fish preferred to join shoals that were larger by just one fish, 'preferring shoals of four fish rather than three fish, and consistently preferring shoals of three fish over those containing just two.'"
This means that they have similar counting abilities to those observed in apes, monkeys and dolphins and humans with very limited mathematical ability.
Christian Agrillo, an experimental psychologist at the university of Padua in Italy said: "We have provided the first evidence that fish exhibit rudimentary mathematical abilities."

I'm sorry mate but thats the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard. Fish with the intellect of a primate or a young child? That's simply not true. Whilst they may show a preference to groups of certain size abd be able to distinguish between groups of certain sizes and choose accordingly, thats not to say they are able to count like you or I would, the 2 are completely different things.
And you have a lot more than 3 cone cells in your eye


think you should do some research before posting.....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top