I think my betta is biting his tail.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MaloK

><(((*>
Reaction score
No, I'm sure he does. the sequels are his mouth size and I can see that the tail has been pulled from his left forward, from the kinks left in it. And new ones appear regularly since a couple of days. I have a photo trail of the evolution.

And this morning another couple of bite marks appeared on his tail. I never saw him do it.

Now, how big are his chance of getting fin rot on top of that, if it's not already done ?

He is in a cycling tank. I do daily water changes and test for both ammo and nitrite. and keeping them at the lowest levels possible.

I also don't like the brownish discoloration near the edges. it was perfect 4-5 days ago...

tail.jpg

Is there something I can do ? Without putting him in too much stress ?

How long have you had him? Also how long has the tank been cycling? Can we get a pic of the tank and it’s water parameters maybe it’s something there

Sometimes, the confinement they are kept in to protect the tail before sales means they never stretch out. When they get loose, the tail can tear between the rays. I'm sure they are crazed enough to tail bite by the time they get to swim, but the tail isn't a naturally developed structure. It is fragile, and can simply tear when he flares it.
The tail looks clean still.

This will upset people, but as obligate air breathers from swamps, Bettas don't need a cycled tank. Ammonia affects the gills first and foremost, and with water changes, you control that. A cycled tank is always better, but they can handle the transition easily - they have adaptations to swamp life.

The tendencies to catch fungal spores and bacteria in the folds of their fins are a cleanliness, not a cycling issue.

How long have you had him? Also how long has the tank been cycling? Can we get a pic of the tank and it’s water parameters maybe it’s something there
Excerpt from my PH that is slightly higher than the water he came from.

3rd week. Pristine water conditions. I have all it takes to flash change anytime. been testing everyday from week 2. Ammonia never got over .25 today all 0. I probably over fed him a little.

He his acting as good as a fish can be. But I'm wondering where these scarfs comes from. The decor is as smooth as possible.

I know he digs himself under the Java moss sometimes. And plow out when he gets bored being there. I suspect something could happen when he does that.

Sometimes, the confinement they are kept in to protect the tail before sales means they never stretch out. When they get loose, the tail can tear between the rays. I'm sure they are crazed enough to tail bite by the time they get to swim, but the tail isn't a naturally developed structure. It is fragile, and can simply tear when he flares it.
The tail looks clean still.

This will upset people, but as obligate air breathers from swamps, Bettas don't need a cycled tank. Ammonia affects the gills first and foremost, and with water changes, you control that. A cycled tank is always better, but they can handle the transition easily - they have adaptations to swamp life.

The tendencies to catch fungal spores and bacteria in the folds of their fins are a cleanliness, not a cycling issue.
This fish had never spread his fins for at least 2 week "of my knowledge"... And was standing on his chin in the bottom of the cup for 2 days when I got him.

You sir, make a lot of sense. Since what his happening to him is too good to be true. He is so happy and etc...

He spreads his fins a lot now, So I believe with time it should help keep them clean. As long as my water is.

Most reactions

Back