I think i have a problem

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

wesa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Guess what, my mom just went out and bought me a common pleco and a big snail today. He's about 3.5" long and has already taken over my rainbow shark's cave. I put in a dif. cave though. It scared the crap out of me when i saw it sucking on a tall cave. But when i turned on the light it went crazy and ducked into the cave. He's pretty cool though.
What size of tank should i get him when he gets too big? Would he be all right in a 55 gallon?
It sucks my mom won't let me take it back.

A 55G would be an absolute minimum for him. My pleco is 13 inches and actually a 75G is the minimum for him.
If your pleco lives a long, healthy life, he will reach 13 inches at least.

The Common should get a 6x6x2 coz they will get to 18 inches and I have seen bigger. They also make a lot of mess so they need a bigger tank so there waste doesn't get too much for thetank to sustain. Otherwise they are easy to care for, give them a varied diet and don't keep them with flat fish like discus

nice large external filter, big tank, and plently of time one of my plecs is now almost 10 years old and still going, up to 25 years i believe same as synodontis species. good luck

Why is he so scared of the light? I feed him sinking shrimp pellets but he won't eat them. I'll also get some type of sinking algae food. Any other food suggestions?Should i feed him at night or is he just getting used to the tank? I have the window open next to the tank to let algae grow better.

cucember an lettuce also work, just weigh them down with a plant magent so they sink.

As stated, don't keep them with flat fish such as disucs beucase they will often try and suck on their sides.

I can't move my angel fish right now, so does it damage flat fish when plecos do this?

wesa said:
I can't move my angel fish right now, so does it damage flat fish when plecos do this?
To be honest, I don't really believe all this about plecs sucking onto the sides of flat fish. I ave 4 angels in with my 2 plecs (not common) and they never really come into contact with each other.

I wouldn't worry about it for now. Just make sure to feed him. Situations where plecs have sucked onto the side of goldfish (when I was a member of a g/f forum) was 9 times out of 10 a result of the plec never being fed because they were seen as simple scavengers.

How much does a hang over the back filter usually cost? ($) All i have right now is an undergravel one.

Most reactions

Back