hollywoodH

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My tank is setup for Malawi's

48x18x18 inshes
ph8.2
temp 79
gh - 16

I now have only two Bristlenose plecos and my blue Crayfish. I want to stock up on Malawi's again in a week or so's time but want some info and idea's on what to get..

would stick with the nonmbuna type of malawi's. the mbuna's that i have had in the past love to pick on the plecos that i had in their tanks. are you looking for color or activity? cichlidmaster is very good at advising on types of fish.

Hi. Im also setting up a Lake Malawi tank and these are some suggestions for you : Gold labs, Kennyi, Troheops and Peacock Cichlids.
I think im getting Neon -Blue peacocks for about $15.

i am after colour and variation. My previous Malawi's Mbuna's were fine with my pleco's as it has so many hiding places and caves. CM what do you think?

i don't think that blue crayfish/lobster is a good idea,IME it will be killed,your fish will eventually eat it's eyes then pick it apart.i've seen this plenty of times,also if the lobster has the opportunity he will snatch up as many fish as it can.

as for your question i'll list a few of my favorites but CM is the man you wanna talk to.

yellow lab
784.jpg

Pseudotropheus demasoni
767.jpg

Maylandia estherae
1840.jpg

Pseudotropheus zebra
pzebra.jpg

these are the most common,i've had all of these together at one time w/very good results.imo the most aggresive one is the red zebra then the blue w/the demasoni and the yellow labs taking 3rd and 4th.

those are exactly what I had in my tank mate before the wtaer company flooded my system. Ba====ds. They seemed fine with Keith the lobster he has his own little cave that he hides away in that no fish can get near because there are other rockeries in the way

They seemed fine with Keith the lobster he has his own little cave that he hides away in that no fish can get near because there are other rockeries in the way
:) believe me,that won't last very long,coz when he sheds(i forget the real term)but when it sheds he will be very vulnerable.that's coming from exp.

he's done it once but ill transfer him to another tank ive got

sorry bro but if i didn't say anything and your next post was why did my mbuna kill my lobster :/ i'd feel bad,i wasnt trying to bust your bubble. ;)

thats cool man i have an obsesion with odballs so i may set up an oddball tank as well. ive seen a blue crayfish in a display tank with Malawi's before and it seemed fine but its not worth taking the risk really is it.

;)

i have a thing for oddballs to :lol: i have 2 ropefish 1 birchir a black ghost knife.i gave up on crabs and lobsters cos yeah :blink: they do really good for a while then one day i come in and they're scattered all over the tank.
before i figured it out i lost 3 african blue crabs 4 soapdish crabs,i don't know how many crawfish and about 2 blue lobsters :eek: $$$. :sick: :X

Most reactions

Back