I need to rant

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

knutty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Very rarely do I ever go to Petsmart. Not my type of place really. I rather hit the smaller specialized shops that can offer valuable advice. But....my local Petsmart really keeps nice smaller plants and I wanted to go get some more moneywort. My wife decided that she wanted to get a black molly..so we headed over there as it was on our way home. Keep in mind that I am your average techno career geek, crotch rocket motorcycle riding, fairly all around normal 25 year old who digs his fish and wife. Just a normal joe. Mostly Even keeled. BUT>>>>> oh yeah, something got me really flamed the other day.. as we were purchasing the black molly ( what a nice little fish, plays well with the others in the tank) the girl who was helping told us that she was upset because she just had a brood of fish pop out the other day and today she had to go kill them. Why you ask yourself? It is Petsmart's policy that they are not to sell any fish that are born in the store. Having come from a retail environment I can see where it opens up loopholes and pathways to internal theft, not to mention creates an abnormally difficult inventory hassle.. They are allwoed to give them out if people wish to adopt them. This is what gets me..they kill them by putting baking soda in the water which 1) releases mad amounts of carbonate into the water and 2) releases dissolved oxygen which suffocates the fish to death. This does not seem even remotely humane, especially coming from a company that credits itself with being a friend to all pets. Needless to say I will not be shopping there anymore, not even for the plants ( which they do seem to take very good care of). So, next time you are in Petsmart, think about the hundreds of fish that are being suffocated to death every day across the nation because petsmart is not willing to spend the money to get the proper chemicals to dispose of unwanted fish. Nuff said.

that's pretty disgusting. but that is not a chain-wide PetSmart policy. i have a friend who works at PetSmart, and they give them away to friends, family, other pet stores, etc.

A shop like that is so barbaric. I wonder what other pet stores do though.

The Petsmart near me doesn't follow that "procedure". I think it is more likely to be the local manager or even the employee that decided to use such cruelness. If I was you I would complain to the store manager and to the Petsmart Corp about such practices. It looks bad for a pet store to be malicious like that!

Most reactions

Back