I need to ask a question

Angel Lady

Pet of the Month Leader
Reaction score
Im went to the lfs today and she used to have a whole tank of mollies and now she is down to about 20 mollies or mabey less and the only thing that she has in the tank with them is a couple of eel looking fish about four inches long and the whole bottom of the tank is lined with snails she wanted me to ask you guys if you all thought snails would be killing them off some way. I told her it could be them long fish but she swears they never move hardly, she saying that it has to be the snails when she finds the fish dead they arent not one mark on them.

It very well might be.

The thing is what kind of eels and what type of snails are they?

well that is what we are trying to find out how couldthey be killing off her mollies she is pretty sure that it isnt the eels that aredoing this but anyway she wanted me to get everyones opinion onthis one

Braddah said:
how can snails kill mollies??? unless there was a disease or somtin'....wierd :/
I agree, but we have to ask questions and try to troubleshoot and narrow it all down. :)

I know if I'm the first to reply to a thread that is confusing or that I don't know, I ask dumb questions, but it's to start the ball rolling so that all of us as a community can hopefully come to a conclusion in time. :)

I'm not sure, but I doubt the snails killed off the mollies. The eel like fish sound like a type of loach (which would explain the snail shells). Mollies are most often classed as brackish water fish, if they are from a BW strain and are being kept in FW this could be what is causing the deaths

edit: sorry re-read your post, I thought you said snail shells not live snails.

they are live snails every time I go down there those 2 eels are in the same place they dont seem to move very much at all she shouldnt house all that stuff together anyways. she needs a tank for them eels by thier selves if you ask me I know the mollies arent kept in any salt at all. but she sell them out fast anyways I think I have forgot more than she will ever know when it comes to these fish she keeps I will tell her that it is the eels that is killing off her mollies I didnt think it was thesnails to begin with but I told her I would ask you guys and see what everyone said

cant be the snails becouse my uncle has lodes of fish and he stared with 2 snails and now they took over but none of his fished died! maybe shes not taing good care of them or something in the water! :rolleyes:

Ack! Mollies + no salt = dead fish. Plus, if the 'eel things' are always in the same places during the day, there's a good chance that they're more active at night. Although, I would think that if they were being munched, there would be some sort of visible wounds on the corpses, or else no corpses at all.

Most reactions

Back