I Just Broke My Hob Filter

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

leah2296

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a question about filters. I'm running two filters on my 65g tank.. I have a Fluval 305 canister filter and it's great. I also have an HOB Aqueon Quietflow filter... However I re-set up the tank and I put on a foam 3d background - I didn't cut enough of it away so when I reattached the HOB filter, the plastic clip on the motor snapped. Everything else works fine but now when I turn it on, the motor pops off. Very annoying.

So, I have been looking at replacement motors but the motor is as expensive as a new filter and more complicated to order. Unless I can figure out a dependable way to fix the broken part I think I need to buy a new filter - This is where I am looking for advice.

I already have a canister so I can't get another one of those as there's no space. I am considering another HOB filter - I'm pretty happy with the Aqueon but the water flow into the tank is a loud. I suspect this is the case will all HOB filters though. I see there are also internal filters but a quick google search suggests those are poorly made. Anyone have experience with these? Also, I am definitely not interested in undergravel filters because the tank is all set up now.

My question is - what are your suggestions for good secondary filters? (or, is there an easy way to fix the part I broke?). I'm looking for something in the 50-70gallon capacity range. I already have a Fluval 305 running. It's a 65g tank.

Thank you!

I am getting ready to get a Penguin Biowheel for one of my tanks. Granted, it's not as large as yours, but I've heard good things about these filters. They are fairly inexpensive compared to most of the other HOBs. Eaglesaquarium uses them and seems to love them!

Fluval internals are also pretty good! A bit querky, but have good flow.

However, I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable than I am will come along and help you out better soon! :)

This is the part I broke: 3161970508.jpeg

It's a pain that just a small plastic bit snapped and now I might have to get a whole new filter..

Do you know anything about how noisy the Penguin Biowheels are? It would be nice to find one that has a lower drop off to reduce the babbling brook noise. That's why I am considering an internal one but I don't know anything about them. I just checked out the fluval internal filter and it looks interesting - but super expensive compared to the HOBs (over $100 in Canada) Thanks for your input!

I run a bio wheel 350 and as long as I keep the tank at the right water level it's nice and quiet. I'm no expert on filters so what does the part you broke do? Maybe there is a DIY fix that you can employ instead if buying a new one.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I thought about glueing it but the problem is that it's a clip - I am supposed to be able to unclip it to access the motor so if I glue it, I won't be able to open it up if anything goes wrong with the motor.

Just glue the bit that attaches to the plastic back the the plastic. It should be fine.

leah2296 said:
This is the part I broke:
attachicon.gif
3161970508.jpeg

It's a pain that just a small plastic bit snapped and now I might have to get a whole new filter..

Do you know anything about how noisy the Penguin Biowheels are? It would be nice to find one that has a lower drop off to reduce the babbling brook noise. That's why I am considering an internal one but I don't know anything about them. I just checked out the fluval internal filter and it looks interesting - but super expensive compared to the HOBs (over $100 in Canada) Thanks for your input!

There is a babbling brook sound when the water level drops from evaporation... You can keep the water level higher and its virtually silent.

I might add I enjoy the 'babbling brook' sound, as I find it quite relaxing and adds a degree of 'natural sound' as I watch my fish.  That said, if the noise becomes too loud, its a sign that I need to top up a bit (summer) or time for a water change (winter). 

it's not very often if ever that you'd have to remove the pump part so just glue it so it holds tight---you can always reglue it should you have to remove the pump 

Thanks everyone for your help! Today I managed to wire it on pretty well. If that doesn't hold, I will glue it ... and/or consider an internal filter. For now, all good!

If your wire doesn't get it tight enough perhaps a rubber band or two around it will keep it snug.  It would be easier to take off than the glue.

Most reactions

Back