I have bad luck with Coris...

Orange pectoral fins is natural colouration for sterbai.

What type of sand do you have? It looks ok but the cory's barbels look short and sharp sand can damage the barbels.
I canā€™t think of the name at the moment but it was a nice, soft sand that was very fine

I also see a seashell in the pic. Those leech calcium into the water and affect your water hardness and pH, not a good idea in a tropical tank. While your hardness is okay for your stock right now, with things like seashells in the tank changing the hardness, each water change is going to cause a slight fluctation, and we don't want fluctuations, stable is always better.
Thank you! Does this still pertain to my seashell if they were store bought and boiled in water before adding to tank?

Itll bring down the nitrates unless you have nitrates in your tap water already.

Thank you! Does this still pertain to my seashell if they were store bought and boiled in water before adding to tank?
Yes, it still applies, because it's what sea shells are made out of that affects your water parameters.

Itll bring down the nitrates unless you have nitrates in your tap water already.
NC, Iā€™m having a hard time finding time to do 50% water changes every day to lower the nitrate. Would it be possible to do a 50% water change once a week and use this nitrate remover? See attached.

Attachments

• 9C08CDFD-5FB4-4D2C-9E21-F9E13F40176A.png
    9C08CDFD-5FB4-4D2C-9E21-F9E13F40176A.png
    489.7 KB · Views: 78
What is the nitrate level in your tap water and how high does it get in the tank just before a water change?

If tap water has zero nitrate but it gets high in the tank, you need to look at why.

Just how high does it get in the tank?

If tap water has zero nitrate but it gets high in the tank, you need to look at why.

Just how high does it get in the tank?
Last time I checked (a few days ago), it was 40 ppm. My tank has a lot of algae which I have been trying to fight off, however; it became worse when I added fertilizer to my tank for my plants. It was very little fertilizer though compared to what it told me to add. Could this be contributing?

Does the fertiliser contain nitrate? It could be listed in the ingredients as either nitrate or nitrogen.

Going up from zero in tap water to 40 ppm in the tank is not good. If the fertiliser does not contain it, we need to find out why it gets so high.

Does the fertiliser contain nitrate? It could be listed in the ingredients as either nitrate or nitrogen.

Going up from zero in tap water to 40 ppm in the tank is not good. If the fertiliser does not contain it, we need to find out why it gets so high.
I donā€™t think so. The manufacturers label is attached.

Attachments

• 1C5B42B4-E15A-45E0-AADE-D5ACBC82FA8A.png
    1C5B42B4-E15A-45E0-AADE-D5ACBC82FA8A.png
    329 KB · Views: 83
The first ingredient is nitrogen, but I can't see how much as the % disappears round the edge of the bottle.

My plants are mainly slow growers and floating plants. They get enough nitrogen in the form of ammonia made by the fish so I don't add any extra.
Could you tell us what plants you have in your tank, and what fish (with numbers) so that members who know more about plants than me can take a look. It is possible you don't need to use a fertiliser which contains nitrogen - that is the implication from the nitrate level in your tank. If it is 40 ppm from a tap level of zero, the plants are not using it all.

The first ingredient is nitrogen, but I can't see how much as the % disappears round the edge of the bottle.

My plants are mainly slow growers and floating plants. They get enough nitrogen in the form of ammonia made by the fish so I don't add any extra.
Could you tell us what plants you have in your tank, and what fish (with numbers) so that members who know more about plants than me can take a look. It is possible you don't need to use a fertiliser which contains nitrogen - that is the implication from the nitrate level in your tank. If it is 40 ppm from a tap level of zero, the plants are not using it all.
It says 0.07% nitrogen. I currently have 1 java moss, 2 java fern, 2 Anubias and one that Iā€™m not sure what it is...maybe a fern of some type? The bottle says 5 mL per 60 gallons. I have roughly a 30 gallon tank. After the math, it says to add 2.5 mL but I only add 1 mL. I used to do this every week but now I donā€™t do it except for once a month, maybe, since the algae growth got out of control. I do find my plants do better when I give them fertilizer, but Iā€™m completely willing to stop if it helps my fish out

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back