I Have A Suggestion

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

And honestly, people just need to grow a backbone.

I agree with imperfectfaerie.

What I find a little.......sad.... is how people take offense to things said over the internet :look: :blink: how the hell they cope in the real world is beyond me.

And yeah these threads pop up every few weeks and its just repetetive, pretty annoying.

But we already do. It's called the profile. It's the first thing that comes up when you join the forum. When I find a post that asks for help without giving relevant information, I always go straight to the profile. Sadly, that is usually not much help. But there would seem to be little point in starting another section for this when people can't be bothered to fill in the one we've already got. If people stuck this information in their profile, one wouldn't have to chase through all their previous posts to try to work out their tank size.

Look I'm well aware that we already have something called the profile, I was simply giving a suggestion for something to make the Newbie section a little more interesting.

And as far as a pinned topic with everyone pointing out how rude people can be on here, are you serious? Is that really one of the first things you want people reading when they come on this forum??

Sorry, I thought you were suggesting somewhere for people to post relevant information about their tanks etc. I wasn't one of the posters who suggested pinning the complaints topic, that was somebody else. I think you have a good point there, that newcomers might find that a bit off-putting.

But we already have a pinned thread for people to introduce themselves and tell us about themselves- won't it be a bit confusing to have two of them? And more work for people trying to keep up.

Pin it in announcements and suggestions. You'd be amazed how many people never scroll past Livebearers. :p

I really don't think that the "negative" atmosphere is the fault of the long-term/high-post members. Most of us don't spend a lot of time in Chit Chat, Beginners or Emergencies. And I'll agree: there are a lot of nasty responses in those forums, typically all in the same thread at once. A prime example would be one of Jozlyn's threads a couple weeks back. People just weren't thinking "oh, she was given bad advice and the nearest LFS is 50 miles away and won't take back fish." They were thinking "NOOOOO!!! Save the icckle fishies from the she-devil" :p

While that's a bit of an exaggeration, my point is that the biggest source of people being rude and incendiary is zealotry. They get so wound up with the basics that they forget that there are extenuating circumstances. I admit to being a bit of a zealot myself when it comes to tank sizes. But when we start thinking of this as a crusade and not as a hobby, we trample all over the newbies. This includes people new to fishkeeping and people just new to the forum. Even if you've been fishkeeping for XX years, there's still a learning curve to the forum itself. (But frankly, I view claims of XX years of fishkeeping as being besides the point because anybody can keep some fish for a long time if they keep buying new ones. It's only impressive if you can keep the same fish for a long time. :sly:)

I so know where your coming from, I came here alot last year then I left and remember just the other week about the place and couldnt remember why i stopped coming. i have no realised why.. wont be long untill i dont come anymore. Also good luck with the birth, not long now eh!

Yep! 52 days and counting. He is being delivered by cesar on 19th April. Cant wait!

awww I hope all goes smoothly for you. I have an april baby. Its a brilliant time to have them.

It would be cool if it comes 9 days early, April 10th is a mighty fine day to be born. ;) My wife is due July 1st, we just found out were having a boy also, how awesome is that?! Our first one so were pretty excited.

:hyper: :- :drink: :band: :beer:

Congrats!!

awwwww yeah thats brilliant, congrats.

Sorry, I thought you were suggesting somewhere for people to post relevant information about their tanks etc. I wasn't one of the posters who suggested pinning the complaints topic, that was somebody else. I think you have a good point there, that newcomers might find that a bit off-putting.

But we already have a pinned thread for people to introduce themselves and tell us about themselves- won't it be a bit confusing to have two of them? And more work for people trying to keep up.

Its ok, I looked but didn't see a pinned topic for introducing themselves. Are you sure its still there? I thought that was what the Newbie section was for pretty much. Most people really don't seem to put alot of information about themselves in their "introductory post" though. Thats why I suggested the format. Then people could find out a little more about the new guys and be able to strike up a convesation with them in the thread, like if they have something in common or whatnot. It seems most of them are just "Hi there Im new", then someone says "welcome"... and it basically ends. Maybe thats all it supposed to be, I don't know.

clareuk Posted Today, 02:20 PM

awwwww yeah thats brilliant, congrats.

Thanks alot!

hello again everyone

my lord i been away for the day and came back to all this

firstly thanx loads for all your replies and suggestions and the expectant parents i wish you all the best and happiness with your new arrivals...a true gift

Most reactions

Back