The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Retardo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am so sick of hearing all the Harry Potter crap all over the news, all I hear now is how Harry Potter changed peoples lives and got Gazillions of kids into reading. It is so annoying. Plus I think Harry Potter is a bad series too, its not funny, smart, or interesting. I'll take Douglas Adams or Kurt Vonnegut 100% over Harry Potter any day.
What is it exactly that draws people to these books anyway? When I was little I read the first 4 Harry Potter books, and I quit after that, they definetly didn't get me into reading (the two above mentioned authors did) some people even go so far as to say Harry Potter changed their life, how the heck does that happen? I guess wasting hours on end, on reading boring mindless books, can change your life, if wasting your life counts as changing it. What honestly draws the commotion into these books?

Does anyone else feel the same way as me?

yes they are boring, ignorant arrogant dumb and did i mention boring? i se eno meaning to them.. and those thigns in them i find it demon possessed..

Your loss- they're great books once you get into them.

Sorry you're not that open minded to try something new.

GobyMaster

That's exactly what I tried to do, hence me reading the first four books, I tried to get into them, it didn't work

yes they are boring, ignorant arrogant dumb and did i mention boring? i se eno meaning to them.. and those thigns in them i find it demon possessed..

Do i sense a bit of sarcasm? but seriously if you have nothing constructive to say, please don't say it

Aren't there more important things to worry about in life?

They are just books. Chill out.

Yes, they are, but when its summer and you get hit by all this.....well......crap, then you get really annoyed by it..

Plus, I wanted to see if anyone else here agrees with me too

Edit- Sorry mcdanielnc89, i saw your other post about harry potter, and it seems you really mean what you say...sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic just for the sake of it...but do you really find Harry Potter to be demon possesed

It's a matter of personal taste... There's no reason to put down people that like them (and I don't), or say they're a waste of time and worthless.

^^^^I'm just simply giving my opinion on the topic, after hearing thousands of ZOMG!!!!111!!!! HARRYZ POTTERZ IS SO GREATS I LOVES HIM!!!!!11!!!!! HARRYZ POTTERZ PWNS n00bs UBER!!!!!!!1111!!!11. I wanted a change.

Also, Sorry mcdanielnc89- I thought you were being sarcastic with what you said just for the sake of it, but after reading your other harry potter posts, it seems like you really mean it, sorry for taking it the wrong way. But do you really think Harry Potter is demon possesed?

Honestly, yes I do. but its' my own personal opinion.. I am religious so.... I don't liek all that kind of stuff. There is some stuff I can handle and some stuff i cannot.. Harry potter is one of the things I jsut cannot handle and i truly tink is demon possessed.. As well as WWE..

Okay, I can understand that about Harry Potter (even though i'm not religious), but can you please explain why you think that about the WWE, this stuff interests me!

Nice to have a good rant and get it off you chest isn't Captain :D
Some people like things, some can't stand them. It's not a matter of open or closed mindness, it's rather somone's opinion.
Personally, they got me into proper reading, which I thank them for. It is hard however to go back and read Potter, when I have moved on to more advanced novels.

I REALY DISLIKE HARRY POTTER THEY ARE SO BORING AND PEOPLE WHO READ THEM I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW YOU CAN THERE JUST A LOAD OF GARBAGE I WOULD RATHER READ BABY BOOKS THERE MORE INTERESTING

I'm not a fan of HP. I never made it through the first movie or the first book. However, anything that turns someone on to reading is a plus. Anything that gets people intrigued as to following a story is a plus. Anything that gets kids playacting and away from all their electronics is a plus.

Does it matter whether or not I like it? Wouldn't it be a bit presumptuous to think every book written should be one that I personally love?

I'm not sure where you're getting inundated with HP stuff. I listen to public radio, don't get it there. I don't watch tv, don't get it there. I go to the library every other week, don't get it there. Just tune out. Read a book! ;)

Got to say that it boils down to the individual.
I find the idea of reading Harry Potter and Douglas Adams (can't say about Vonnegut, always wanted to give his books a shot but never had time) ridiculous....
It all boils down to personal taste...
Simple as that. Must say that the hype over Harry Potter does give me a bad vibe.
Then again my Mother reads the Harry Potter books and i doubt it makes any representation as to her intelligence considering (imho) she is an extremely intelligent woman.
I REALY DISLIKE HARRY POTTER THEY ARE SO BORING AND PEOPLE WHO READ THEM I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW YOU CAN THERE JUST A LOAD OF GARBAGE I WOULD RATHER READ BABY BOOKS THERE MORE INTERESTING
Ignorance fuels media markets, i dunno what the demon possesion refers to, if its based on its use of 'magic' in its story then i'd suggest anyone who takes that seriously perhaps has issues themselves.
I'd love to know what you guys are reading so i can, in turn, insult your personal taste.....
Perhaps the OP was phrased badly :dunno:
Try some Nietzsche :nod:
And IMHO if you want some deep, intelligent (rather than merely funny and allusive) sci-fi maybe Philip K Dick would be more suitable?

I think that it is fine for people to read books like that its just that the media is blowing a book release WAY out of proportion. I am also kind of tired of hearing "harry potter this" "harry potter that" every second I want to listen to the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back