I got a new fish! More opinions.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

revengeishere

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I just purchased a wonderful, pictus cat fish(not the four lined). I already know something about this fish, but I would appreciate it if someone can give me more tips. Anyways, he is in a 75 gallon, with a syno eupterus. Also, there is a red tailed shark in there. will they get along fine?

Thanx. And oh, is it nocturnal, or not? Is it active during the day or not? I read that they are nocturnal, but on the other site, I read they arent. Which is which?

A pictus cat is an opportunistic carnivore, if you have small fish then watch out he does not eat them, they will take various flake, pellet and frozen foods.

I've moved this to catfish cradle so you get more response

Pictus cats are great little cats,one of my favourites :) They do better if kept in a group of at least three,if kept singularly they tend to become shy and nocturnal where in a group they will be active all day.Do not keep just a pair or they will fight,its either one lonely pictus or 3 or more lively happy pictus im afraid.
When feeding them it is best to just feed every other day,give them enough food so that they look like theyve swallowed a marble and then let them take 48 hours to digest it,they will be more active and you will see more of them this way.

William said:
A pictus cat is an opportunistic carnivore, if you have small fish then watch out he does not eat them, they will take various flake, pellet and frozen foods.

I've moved this to catfish cradle so you get more response
Thanx, I thought of deleting this and post there, but i forgot I can'.

But how come its been moved here again?
Thanx.

Edit: Thanx Mods!

CFC said:
Pictus cats are great little cats,one of my favourites :) They do better if kept in a group of at least three,if kept singularly they tend to become shy and nocturnal where in a group they will be active all day.Do not keep just a pair or they will fight,its either one lonely pictus or 3 or more lively happy pictus im afraid.
When feeding them it is best to just feed every other day,give them enough food so that they look like theyve swallowed a marble and then let them take 48 hours to digest it,they will be more active and you will see more of them this way.
yes, I'll try to get more soon. But now, I'm waiting for my 50 gallon to move my balas and zebra danios in there. Right now, he isnt shy at all. He is making the tank move so much that the tiger barbs arent messing with him. The tank is moving alot since i have a semi aggresive community. Pretty sight.

Also, here is my stocking level. Will move the some fish to accomodate 3 pictus cats.
75 gallon, moderately planted.
20+ danios(although I suspect the pictus ate the smalles danio already cos he was bulging last night even tho I didnt feed him)
12 tiger barbs
3 siamese algae eater
a baby bala
1 syno eupterus
1 red tailed shark
1 pictus(plnned to get 2 or 3 more, if possible)

What do you guys suggest to move?
Im thinking the bala cos he is peaceful and might not be ale to cope with the fast moving pictus, and the zebra danios(lunch for my pictus!).

Thanx. I might return 2 tiger barbs, too.

You shouldnt really keep pimeloid catfishes with small nippy barbs as they tend to nibble their whiskers,just keep an eye on it and be prepared to move one or the other if troubles start,pimeloids quickly die if they are being harrased.The bala will be fine with the pims,actually a good choice of tankmate,though really you need another two of them as well,they are a shoal fish.You are right to move the danios,they are pictus snacks :lol:

I had a 4 line catfish he grew to about 9 inches and 2 in half inches wide. I was excited once he died... He was 11 years old, He would eat my tetras but would leave my little corries alone. He hated to be bothered, but finaly I decided to feed him goldfish for the fun of it. He grew and grew and grew, finaly I stopped cause he was eating like a wild pig. A year later he died... :-( Sad story but I got over it several seconds later...

CFC(or anyone for that matter), do you think that my pictus is compatible with syno eupterus? I thought synos are peaceful, but i read somewhere that he might be aggresive towards other catfish.

I also have a redtailed, but he isnt bugging the pictus(he chases the SAE more).

Thank you.

They and RTBS will be fine with the pictus, RTBS usually only chase fish with a similar shape or colouring and synos are only aggressive with other synos and fish that try to invade their caves.Youl havr to keep an eye on the synos health though,pictus cats are greedy little beggers and if the syno isnt quick to get to the food there wont be ant left for it.

Ok, cool, thank you. I will watch him. Pictus really are voracious eaters! LOL, i might have to give the syno up and have more pictus instead, they are very active and you actually get to enjoy them. But I'm attached to Finey(thats my syno...LOL) and i will prolly move him to a 50 gallon with I dunno yet(Mbuna cichlids?..that wud be amazing, but my dad thinks they are ugly...lol).

Most reactions

Back