I finally got my tank!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sdadlani

Reaction score
I recieved this tank as a gift from a freind. He didn't know how big it was, since he got it from a freind as well. I have a few pics to help ya guys out.. I just wanted to know how big it was, and what pump,filter, and heater I should get.
Thanks!

PS: the top is kinda weird, its not completly open... you'll know what i mean when you see the pics..

fc70b9af.jpg

fc70b8ea.jpg

The blue thing is a 12 inch ruler. it measuers about 14 inches deep, and 26 inches across.

I posted this in two different forums, im just tryin to get my answer quick.

Not sure for certain but I have seen similar type tanks at my LFS that are about that size that are five gallon tanks. Dont know if that helps but Id think that you could get by with a undergravel system. You could go with a power filter but IMHO it would be overkill, But then again I have been known to be the king of overkill..lol

Les

If the tank is about 10" front to back (as it looks to be in the picture) then the volume would be about 60 litres (13 UK gallons, 15 US gallons) IF the corners were all square. There will be a reduction in volume due to the missing corners at the front so I would guess somewhere in the region of 40-50 litres. If you post all of the dimensions here I should be able to work it out a bit closer.

Assuming you are going to use this for tropical fish you shoudl be able to stock with fish to a total maximum adult length of 17 to 20" built up over time.

I would recommend that you avoid an under gravel filter (sorry Les) as internal power filters are quite cheap (less than a tenner online) and are easier to maintain in the long run. The only problem might be where to mount it because of the covered top. If money is not a problem then an external filter is an excellent choice - something like an Interpet Prime filter is about £40 online. You should be OK with a 100w heater in that size of tank - you can get them for £10 to £15 online.

Cheers, Eddie

Not a problem Eddie, like I said I am the king of over kill.....lmao. I guess I need to look closer at the one they got at LFS cause I was almost certain till now that they had one close to that and it was 5 gal. But it wouldnt be the first time I was wrong....lol
Just wait till I go with sand as a substrate Eddie, thats when I will go silly with my filtration... Been doing alot of reading on a fluidized bed filter....hehehehe See I told you....lol
Yeah a power filter would be best for that small a tank. Personally I wouldnt run a under gravel on anything less than a 20 gallon. I know I am going to hear about this but its really a hassle with them things.....lol

Les

Les,

Having used a UGF once I will never do it again. It was a pain as it sucks the waste down into the gravel where it rots anaerobically (I think) and is messy - when I stripped the tank down after about five months the amount of black sludge below the filter plate was disgusting. Plants don't do anywhere near as well with an UGF either.

Given the low prices for internal and external filters these days I am of the opinion that UGFs are on the way out - but that is just my opinion and as I am still a relative newbie someone will probably tell me of situations where a UGF is the onyl way to go :)

Cheers, Eddie

Eddie, We have to stop meeting like this...hehehehe I completely agree with you on the undergravel. I just have to wait to go with sand until I can find a real good way of filtering my 55 gal with sand in the bottom. I have a pretty good fish load and I would be afraid to try and do it with just a power filter.
I have already noticed sludge under my gravel, I was under the tank the other night and it looked sick. I couldnt believe it was that bad in only 2 months.
I thought about running dual power filters but Im not sure it will handle it all Not to mention I like the flow my power head gives me....hhehe
I guess Allie was right about me being a perfectionist over the fish.

Les

Most reactions

Back