i finally get to watch my little night time terror

steppy104

Grarr
Reaction score
well, every once in a while we buy our tank little rosies (feeders) and put them in our 39gal tank, which has 3 tin foils, 2 green sunfish, 1 gourami, 1 carnival goldfish, and 1 albino catfish. we only get to watch the sunfish eat the rosies, because they aren't afraid of light....so their feast starts as soon as the fish hits the water. well, they eat about 2 or 3 each.....depending on how hungry they are...then all gets boring again, and i go off to do my normal stuff....

well, i put 24 feeders in the tank yesterday at about 8PM...at around 10ish i turned all the lights off, but the TV was still on, which made it still possible to watch whats goin on in the tank...so as soon as the lights go out, my pleco rushes out of his hiding spot, and the catfish starts wiggling. he comes out of his log-decor, then turns around and zooms back in....he does this about 3 or 4 times, then he finally starts explporing the tank....next thing ya know, he's eatin all the rosies! one happens to be about an inch or so in front of him, he swims up to it and just vacuums(sp?) it up! no struggle or anything....just sucks it up and looks for more.

well, after watching him eat a few, i turned the lights back on, and counted the rosies....only 8 left!

now it's morning and there is not a rosie in sight.....he musta been hungry! :eek:

just thought i'd share the expirience :D since that was the first time i've seen him eat a rosie :hey:

ya...i think i've heard of that too....i would think that it sux for people with snakes....but i wouldn't know, cuz i don't personally own a snake...but i know some will only eat live foods...

Using any live animal as feed for another animal is against the law in the UK and personally I am against it but oh well I bet it was amazing to watch!

Ben

What I don't get is why? If the animal naturally eats live food, why make it illegal to do? Wouldn't that be more detrimental to the animal?

i don't know what detrimental means....but yes, it was quite a site to see. he's so fast! as opposed to what everyone see's during the day time....pretty well nothing! lol....he very rarely comes out at day, and i thought it was great to finally see his full body again....it's not very often that happens! lol. i'm probably gonna buy more feeders for him....them lil rosies are just snacks!

if he isn't eating rosies, he's stealing the algae eaters large algae wafers....sucks them up like a vacuum to. such a pig. lol.

oh....thanks. lol.

i think that lettin the catfish chase (even though it's not much of a chase) his food is a good excersize as opposed sittin in the log all day.

wow....i just love the employees at petsmart who can't count. lol. i asked for 24 rosies, and they gave me well over 30....maybe even 40!

Demon is gonna have a heck of a time tonight!

Teelie said:
What I don't get is why? If the animal naturally eats live food, why make it illegal to do? Wouldn't that be more detrimental to the animal?
I have to agree. Any carnivorous, or for that matter omnivorous animal, kills and eats other, smaller live animals. That's natural. Not that I particularly want to see any animal killed. If you have an outdoor cat chances are you will see it kill a bird, mouse, vole what have you. That's just what they do.

The only thing I can point out here is the experience for both feeder and carnivor fish is the fact they are packed into a rather small volume of water as opposed to in the wild, the feeder dont have a chance.

Still, reckon it must be interesting to watch.

How is anyone going to know that you are buying those tiny little fish to feed to your other fish? what about if you you raise fry to feed to your other fish? Will i get arrested? I buy live bloodworm and daphina all the time to feed my fish is that illegal. I think the law means its illegal to feed dead sheep to cows because of mad cow disease. Don't think it relates to fish as the cod we eat will most likely have eaten another fish in its time. :S :S :X -_- :S

aloaring said:
Will i get arrested? I buy live bloodworm and daphina all the time to feed my fish is that illegal.
To clarify this point, The UK law states that it is against the law to feed live vertibrates to other animals.

So bloodworm, shrimp, earthworms, crabs, snails etc are all fine, but live guppies as food for your fish, or live gerbils for your snake is a no-no.

Oddly enough, if you breed the things, kill them and then feed them dead to your pets, then that's allowed.

As Charles Dickens once wrote, "The law is an ass"

btw, exactly what is a rosie?

Most reactions

Back