I fail at Stem Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I know, how can anyone fail with fast-growing stem plants? I can. The only success I had was once, but that was it. Every time I plant any green or red-stemmed plant. Either leafs starts falling off like crazy or the stem rots away OR both!

Maybe I'm getting bad bunches of plants? Everything else in the tank does fairly well, anubias, bolbitis, ferns, tiger lotus, etc. Just these darn stemmed plants. Any thoughts or suggestions?

With the Anubias, have you been putting the rhizome under the substrate?

Stem plants are fast growing plants and that means they need more intense lighting (and more nutrients in balance) than the other plants you mentioned. Ihave no luck with stem plants either, due to light. I do have thriving sword plants, Red Tiger Lotus (I allow the floating leaves which makes this easier) Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, and obviously floating plants.

Red leaf plants need even more light because red and blue is necessary to drive photosynthesis, and red leaves are red because they reflect red light (green leaves reflect green light) so that means even more intense lighting.

If they grow, stem plants grow up toward the light source. As they get there, the plant uses its energy into growing which means the lower leaves will tend to die off so the plant can use the light to grow.

Stem plants are fast growing plants and that means they need more intense lighting (and more nutrients in balance) than the other plants you mentioned. Ihave no luck with stem plants either, due to light. I do have thriving sword plants, Red Tiger Lotus (I allow the floating leaves which makes this easier) Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, and obviously floating plants.

Red leaf plants need even more light because red and blue is necessary to drive photosynthesis, and red leaves are red because they reflect red light (green leaves reflect green light) so that means even more intense lighting.

If they grow, stem plants grow up toward the light source. As they get there, the plant uses its energy into growing which means the lower leaves will tend to die off so the plant can use the light to grow.
I'm no expert, at all, but I have had a wee bit of luck with the creeping jenny/charlie.
What I do is look on the stem for the tiny roots that grow along the stem. As soon as I find some that look healthy, I sacrifice all the plant lower on the stem. I then tuck the rooted part in the substrate. Sometimes I even pluck a few leaves off above the root part so they don't rot in the substrate.
Hit or miss. I probably have 50% success

What is so funny is I never seem to have time to do all this, so I throw them in and they mingle and tangle in with the Hornwort/Anacharis jungle.
:fun:

It's probably the plants you are getting. There are lots of plants sold in pet shops as aquarium plants, but many are marsh or garden plants that rot when kept underwater.

Most red or purple plants are garden plants and don't belong underwater.

If a plant has a hard woody stem and stands up straight when taken out of water, it is probably a marsh or garden plant and does not belong in the fish tank.

----------------
Low light can also be an issue. Most aquarium plants like a bit of light and if you only have the light on for a couple of hours a day, they struggle. If the light doesn't have a high enough wattage they also struggle. Try having the tank lights on for 10-12 hours a day.

If you get lots of green algae then reduce the light by an hour a day and monitor the algae over the next 2 weeks.
If you don't get any green algae on the glass then increase the lighting period by an hour and monitor it.
If you get a small amount of algae then the lighting time is about right.

Some plants will close their leaves up when they have had sufficient light. Ambulia, Hygrophilas and a few others close their top set of leaves first, then the next set and so on down the stem. When you see this happening, wait an hour after the leaves have closed up against the stem and then turn lights off.

Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia (during summer, but don't buy it in winter because it falls apart), Hydrilla, common Amazon sword plant, narrow Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).
The Water Sprite normally floats on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate. The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

----------------
If you add an iron based aquarium plant fertiliser, it will help most aquarium plants do well. The liquid iron based fertilisers tend to be better than the tablet forms, although you can push the tablets under the roots of plants and that works well.
I use Sera Florena liquid plant fertiliser but there are other brands too.

Do not bother adding carbon fertiliser to the tank because they are not necessary.

I've had good luck with water sprite and water wisteria with just low to moderate lighting. I have even floated them with good luck. Not much luck with moneywort or anacharis for some reason. I add 1/2 dose of seachem comprehensive once or twice a week and dose trace elements weekly if I remember.

I've had good luck with water sprite and water wisteria with just low to moderate lighting. I have even floated them with good luck. Not much luck with moneywort or anacharis for some reason. I add 1/2 dose of seachem comprehensive once or twice a week and dose trace elements weekly if I remember.

I think I can grow water sprite and other floating green type of plants...it's the red stem plants that give me the most headaches. I'm done with them...too much money wasted.

I would make sure that your lighting is strong. Most of the other plants you have are low light ones. If your lighting is already strong then it may be bad plants you are getting. Also plants absorb lots of nitrogen to grow so maybe your tank water is too clean? I'm no expert these are just my thoughts. Also wash off any new plants before adding them to the tank because there may be snail eggs stuck to them from the fish store. (I've learned that the hard way)

Root tabs of course can also help fertilize stem plants. I very occasionally use seachem root tabs sparingly.

I think I can grow water sprite and other floating green type of plants...it's the red stem plants that give me the most headaches. I'm done with them...too much money wasted.
post pictures of them and we can tell you if they are true aquatics or garden plants.

I would make sure that your lighting is strong. Most of the other plants you have are low light ones. If your lighting is already strong then it may be bad plants you are getting. Also plants absorb lots of nitrogen to grow so maybe your tank water is too clean? I'm no expert these are just my thoughts. Also wash off any new plants before adding them to the tank because there may be snail eggs stuck to them from the fish store. (I've learned that the hard way)

I don't know. Everyone is giving good advice and trying to help me figure it out, but I think I'm going to stick with what works for me (java ferns, anubias, bolbitis, tiger lotus, etc.) Maybe one day when I do a high tech tank I can do all the red stemmed plants I want!

On another note, I don't mind pest snails. They are a free clean up crew and can tell me if I have an imbalance in the tank if I get a population spike.

I don't know. Everyone is giving good advice and trying to help me figure it out, but I think I'm going to stick with what works for me (java ferns, anubias, bolbitis, tiger lotus, etc.) Maybe one day when I do a high tech tank I can do all the red stemmed plants I want!

On another note, I don't mind pest snails. They are a free clean up crew and can tell me if I have an imbalance in the tank if I get a population spike.
Good idea. I share the same sentiments regarding plants. My LFS always alerts me when the plants I am eyeing require extra lighting.

know, how can anyone fail with fast-growing stem plants? I can. The only success I had was once, but that was it. Every time I plant any green or red-stemmed plant. Either leafs starts falling off like crazy or the stem rots away OR both!

The most likely problem you are having is nutrient deficiencies. Ar you using any fertilizer and if so how often do you apply it and how much. Also how often are your water changes and how much water do you change out. Leafs falling off is commonly a symptom of a mobile nutrient deficiency.

Mobile nutrients are nitrogen, Potassium, phosphorous, Magnesium, chlorine, and molybdenum. When one or more of these nutrients are in short supply the plant can strip older leaves of these nutrient to support new growth. Make sure your fertilizer is supply these nutrients and if possible determine how much of each you are acting to your tank. Now your fish waste and tap water may be supplying some of these nutrients .

In addition to the mobile nutrients plants need calcium, sulfur, iron, manganese, boron, zinc, copper, molybdenum and nickel. If any ONE of the above nutrients are missing plants will not grow are or they will die. Most fertilizers don't supply all of the above nutrients. Also some plants can better tolerate low nutrient levels that other which could explain why some of your plants are doing better than others.

In my experience once you can guarantee all the above essential nutrients are present in sufficient concentrations in your tank water most plants will grow.

The most likely problem you are having is nutrient deficiencies. Ar you using any fertilizer and if so how often do you apply it and how much. Also how often are your water changes and how much water do you change out. Leafs falling off is commonly a symptom of a mobile nutrient deficiency.

Mobile nutrients are nitrogen, Potassium, phosphorous, Magnesium, chlorine, and molybdenum. When one or more of these nutrients are in short supply the plant can strip older leaves of these nutrient to support new growth. Make sure your fertilizer is supply these nutrients and if possible determine how much of each you are acting to your tank. Now your fish waste and tap water may be supplying some of these nutrients .

In addition to the mobile nutrients plants need calcium, sulfur, iron, manganese, boron, zinc, copper, molybdenum and nickel. If any ONE of the above nutrients are missing plants will not grow are or they will die. Most fertilizers don't supply all of the above nutrients. Also some plants can better tolerate low nutrient levels that other which could explain why some of your plants are doing better than others.

In my experience once you can guarantee all the above essential nutrients are present in sufficient concentrations in your tank water most plants will grow.

I have mostly slow growing plants so I don't want to dose too much since it would raise nitrates. But I'll try and start dosing more regularly.

We are all basically guessing, as we have no data yet. Can you post a photo fo the tank so we can see the plants (species and numbers)? Do you use any fertilizer, and if yes, what? What is the light data?

Most reactions

trending

Back