I don't want my fish to breed!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Huntingmouse

Reaction score
I have just gotten 3 mollies to go in my new 10 gallon tank with my two small bread cat fish ( they won't get any bigger then 3-4") and I think I have two mail and one female. I really do not want any baby fish! I want a nice tank to look at, take care of, and enjoy. If I takeout the female Mollie and get another male will they be ok with a tank full of all male fish?

Okay let's work this out. Before we can fix your problem, we need to fix some other potential problems you may have and learn some info about you setup.
How long has the tank been running?
Did you cycle it properly?
What is the size of the tank?
what are the parameters of your water?
Once you've answered these questions and provided us pictures so we can determine the gender of your fish we hopefully can help you out:D

Okay let's work this out. Before we can fix your problem, we need to fix some other potential problems you may have and learn some info about you setup.
How long has the tank been running? 5 days
Did you cycle it properly? I set it up correctly, I had to move my other fish cause my old tank had snails in it that came with some plants. I wanted the plants I did not want the snails, they killed my beta.
What is the size of the tank? 10 gal
what are the parameters of your water? Fine according to my dip stick test strip.
Once you've answered these questions and provided us pictures so we can determine the gender of your fish we hopefully can help you out:D
Never mind, I went the to my local petco and talked to the fish expert there ( she raises betas, mollies, and three other types of fish) she said I could have an all male tank and it would be fine. So I took the pregnant Mollie back to Walmart and exchanged it for a male swordtail Mollie instead. And yes I know how to gender my fish thank you.

My profil pic is the tank right after I set it up with my catfish in it.

Okay so I get the vibe you think I'm being rude. I am not trying to be rude. There is just some problems with your tank and I would hate for all your fish to die.

Back to your original question, Yes having an all male tank of mollies is perfectly fine, that is if you have the right set up.

5 Days is not enough time for your tank to cycle properly, Read this article and go to the secttion on cycling with fish
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Mollies need hard water to thrive the best, a simple google search can help you determine if you have hard or soft water.

I do not know this lady you are talking about it petsmart, she could have valid information but a general rule of thumb is to not believe what the people at chain pet stores tell you, getting your information here or at a privately owned pet store would be a lot better.

again don't take this as rude I just don't want to see your tank go down hill

so you didn't cycle your tank?
what type of stock do you have?
Parameters still?

Mollies are also brackish fish, in your situation if you are a begginer I would reccomend a betta

Mollies are also brackish fish, in your situation if you are a begginer I would reccomend a betta
The snails that came with some plants I got killed my betta, and I refuse to keep 1 temperamental fish and 2 bottom feeders in a 10 gollon tank! And I know that every one thinks that mollies are a brackish fish but a lot of them live in fast running freshwater streams in the wild! ( I did some resurch)

so you didn't cycle your tank?
what type of stock do you have?
Parameters still?
No I transferred the betta balls from my old 5 gallon tank in to the new one and added the recommended amount of "stress less" and "safe start" to the tank. My dip sticks say that the amonia and nitrite levels are safe and that my water is just a little soft, witch I plain on fixing when I do my water change tomorrow. My ph is at 7.5 so that should be fine too.
I have 1 Dalmatian Mollie, 1 harlequin Mollie, 1 gold and black swardtail Mollie, and 2 small breed catfish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back