I.d. This Cichlid?

As far as i'm concerned red top zebra is an LFS name for Greshakei and they are not 2 different fish. I have never read anything by Ad Konigs or anyone else to suggest otherwise. Indeed everything i have read confirms they are the same.

As far as i'm concerned red top zebra is an LFS name for Greshakei and they are not 2 different fish. I have never read anything by Ad Konigs or anyone else to suggest otherwise. Indeed everything i have read confirms they are the same.

Then you are wrong... :crazy:

a Proper Greshaki only has a half red tail fin, not ALL of it.... there is so much mis-information in this hobby that it's no wonder people get it wrong..

Then you are wrong... :crazy:

a Proper Greshaki only has a half red tail fin, not ALL of it.... there is so much mis-information in this hobby that it's no wonder people get it wrong..

greshaki.jpg

Greshakei2.jpg

these are two imagres taken from the web that ARE greshaki and you will note the fin tail colouration.

I hope this helps..

Sorry Druchii but you seem to be comparing pics of wild caught Greshakei with farm bred examples. They are the same fish. Also nukeonekitty's fish doesn't have a completely red tail and matches perfectly to the top Greshakei pic you posted.

In addition, if you don't think nukeonekitty's fish is a Greshakei, what the hell is it? IMO there is no such thing as a P.Zebra red-top, that is a completely made up name.

Please check your facts before having the arrogance to tell people they are wrong and are giving mis-information. Your post would have sounded much more adult if you'd used something like IMO, I don't believe you are the last word on African cichlids in the same way that i am not. The difference is i don't pretend/assume that i know everything and just give people the benefit of my experience and more importantly, my opinions. :/

gotta go with Cheffi; Ferris shows good social skills. :p But really so far there's not really any flaming, do you think?

Having a difference of opinion is one thing....how you put it to others is another.......

Done a bit of looking and im sure the zebra red top cobalt is in fact a metriaclima mbenjii or its trade name red top cobalt. Add a bit of tank breeding for the faint barring.

4856.jpg

Yep Adam is spot on :good:

I apologise however to anyone to anyone who read my earlier post and took it as i was coming over as arrogant earlier on.... i certainly wasn't (or at least it WAS NOT my intention too :fun:

The fish that nuke has got imo in NOT a greshaki..

it shows all the traits of a a metraclima/maylandi/zebra red top cobalt which is sold by many 'as' a greshaki, but in truth is not..

It's proper scientific name is Metraclima mbenjii - well it was in my Ad Konigs book vol.2.

You do mention and raise a good point about 'in breeding' that changes fish from their wild form, but whatever the mix of genes that has produced that fish it is more than likely come from the mbenjii strain than the true greshakei.

It's a pity i can not show you the pictures in the book to fully show you to be able to someone convince you i'm telling a bunch of porkey pies :hey:

I do have the book the only problem with it is that it shows perfect fish even my wild caught dont look the same as whats in the book unless i change the lighting.

Metriaclima Mbenji is certainly a possibility, although they are more often found in LFS in their orange blotch/marmalade colours these days.

They also tend to have no stripes or very feint stripes whereas nukeonekitty's fish looks to have fairly well defined markings.

nukeonekitty - a good close up pic would help greatly. :good:

:thumbs:

Oh! How I love a good searching debate among people of good will!

Too bad it is the end of my day, and I must go nite nite. :(

Well its one or the other , those are the only fish i can find with the same colouring but ad konings book shows the mbenjii with orange fins were the pic i posted does not so that means its a greshaki but its tail is all orange which means its a mbenjii ARGGGG!!.

At least we all know now a zebra red top cobalt is not a proper name.

I will try and get a close up pick for tomorrow! Thanks Ferris and company for the help!

The picture i posted of my fish earlier in the thread (the one with the hongi in the same post) , also is heavily striped and a dull blue when not horney if that adds anything to the conversation.... :D

Whatever it is nuke, when it wants to spawn, it might go a very light colour and look magnificent :good:

Yeah, I'm pumped for my fish to get mature!

Most reactions

Back