I bought the cutest puffer

love cichlids

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
334
Reaction score
0
Points
0
:wub: Finally i have my green spotted puffer. Bought her today, don't know how to sex it so just saying it is a female. She is doing well, she was put in the tank 30 min ago after acclimating her in the bag, now just have to come up with a name. I was thinking of Twinkles, but not sure. Anyone have any other CUTE names for my puffer.
It took hours to get the tank at the right salinity last night, did not realize how much salt it would take but finally at 10 pm it was right.
You will notice I got my angelfish and named her Star. She was the one being bullied and had some fins missing, so I took her.
:lol: Right now my son just put the hamster on my head. I have a house full of pets. 2 dogs(terrior poodle cross, king charles spaniel), 2 siamese cats and a whole lot of fish :rofl:
 
Congrats! Was the puffer in BW at the shop? What SG is she at now?
 
Yes she was in BW at the petstore. She is at 1.0012. I made sure I acclimated her for a while before releasing her. I have a name, my son said she looked like a hummingbird. So her name is Little Hummingbird.
 
Looks like you''re gonna have to change your name to love puffers! :D
 
yes i think i will, loved to have a cichlid tank but has not happened yet. Maybe someday, that means another tank :lol: . Soon I will have no room for furniture, but I do have a spare room I can clean out for a couple of beautiful tanks, its just that i rent right now and don't want to move with a house full of tanks :rofl: . My mom is leaving the house to me when she dies, which will not be anytime soon, but then i can go crazy if i want. That will be along time from now.
 
Hmm, cute names...

Cuddles?

Bubbles?

Chubby?

Congrats on the new puffer!
 
I had a mix of brine shrimp and bloodworms to feed him this morning. I was told by lfs to wait an hour after putting light on so that is what I did. When I put the food in she went and hid, now she is swimming around but did not eat anything, should I be worried. I thought they were very hungry fish so I thought I would have no problem with her eating this morning. Is this normal. Other than that she has been doing well, was swimming around the tank last night fine. I just seen her try to eat a brine shrimp and she spit it out.
 
I wouldn't worry yet. Fish, including puffers, often take a couple of days to get used to their new suroundings and stuff before they start eating

Umm, just to make sure, the puffer in your avatar isn't your puffer, is it? If so, it looks like a figure 8 to me ... which should be kept at a lower SG (not sure if it's 1.005 or 1.008)
 
no mine is a GSP for sure. The petsore I go to is pretty good at labelling their fish properly, and the person I was talking to was very knowledgable of these puffers. At least he got a really good meal not too long before I brought him home. I was at the petstore shortly after they opened and the employee said they were just fed, I could tell all their bellies were big, full of food.
 
my new puffer is doing great but will only eat bloodworms, he will spit out the brine shrimp I try to feed him. What else can I give her.
 
try throwing a couple live pond snails in there, and see if he's curious...i've actually been starting to see them for sale at many fish stores, but if they have them in the fish tanks they will give them to you for free

never kept puffers so i'm not too sure what else you can put in their diets
 
I was going to buy 2 small snails for her soon because they need them in their diet. Do I add them as a meal or inbetween her normal feeding?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top