Hygro Polysperma question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

nitro

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I added some Hygrophila Polysperma to my tank about a month ago now and it started growing pretty quickly but the last couple of weeks it has slowed down and is producing light coloured pink/reddish tint to the leaves instead of green leaves.

I was thinking it might be lack of nutrients in the water because i did put a fair bit of Hygro polyspema in the tank. i cant check nitrate levels in the tank til Friday because i have some dodgy test kits at the mo that dont work. :blink:

Anyone know what is causing this?

People really need to research their plants. :/

Hygrophila Polysperma - aka Tropic Sunset Hygro - Turns Pinkish Red when the tank has low nitrates.

This does not mean there is a definciency, but it does slow growth of any hygro which are "nutrient sponges" and that is also why they are fast growing plants.

Take that same Pink Hygro and put it in a different low nitrate tank and it will not lose it's color and the same goes for one that is green, it will turn pink within a week.

I can vouch for that, even though I didn't realise that was the reason. After a water change the leaves turn green. Over the course of the week the tips will start turning pink. By the time of the next waterchange there is a fair amount of pink leaves.

WK

People really need to research their plants

Plants are just plants to me. Only research i do is if they will grow in the light i provide for them.

are all the leaves pink or just the ones at the top?

Just the top ones.

nitro said:
People really need to research their plants

Plants are just plants to me. Only research i do is if they will grow in the light i provide for them.
I agree. I have low light and no co2 so I find out which are easy to grow and require less light and no co2 and get them. I read up on how they grow (in substrate, on driftwood, floating, etc) but never even noticed if the leaves change colors, etc. I guess that's what this forum is for anyway? :dunno:

What I was refering to is if you are going to provide advice to someone asking about Nutrients then you need to research so you answer properly, not just some sporadic answer that you believe based off your tank.

When someone just asks for advice on what will grow, what I need that is one thing. This member was specifically asking what caused the changed and not a single person provided the Factual answer, and only one answer was based on any research.

When someone asks a question such as this they need a realistic and factual response due to the fact that what could be a sign of a nutrient deficiency can later affect all their plants.

Some plants like low Nitrates and other like higher Nitrates. Others show different "happy signs" (such as the red leaves) due to low or high iron, phosphates, etc.... If a person is experiencing problems with one plant, but another is "happy" then the factual answer such as the plant with the red tinge liking low nitrates could help them find a medium area for both plants or remove one plant.

enchanted said:
What I was refering to is if you are going to provide advice to someone asking about Nutrients then you need to research so you answer properly, not just some sporadic answer that you believe based off your tank.

When someone just asks for advice on what will grow, what I need that is one thing. This member was specifically asking what caused the changed and not a single person provided the Factual answer, and only one answer was based on any research.

When someone asks a question such as this they need a realistic and factual response due to the fact that what could be a sign of a nutrient deficiency can later affect all their plants.

Some plants like low Nitrates and other like higher Nitrates. Others show different "happy signs" (such as the red leaves) due to low or high iron, phosphates, etc.... If a person is experiencing problems with one plant, but another is "happy" then the factual answer such as the plant with the red tinge liking low nitrates could help them find a medium area for both plants or remove one plant.
thanks for clarifying. I thought you were talking about the OP. :)

Most reactions

Back