Hurt shrimp

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys so just not long ago I saw my cardinals nipping at my amano shrimp. She darted off away from them. Looks like she was molting as I saw a bit of her shell coming off.

What should I do? I think shes in the corner resting. I've had her for 6 years now . I bought some glass catfish and a bristlenose yesterday but they don't seem to bother her

Make sure the water is clean and well filtered, and you have lots of plants in the tank for the shrimp to hide in. The shrimp will do the rest.

Thanks Colin. Good news is I saw her on a plant alive thankfully :). Bad news is she looks to not have molted yet as I could see a bit of her shell loose from the back of her head. When I saw her again it looked to get a little loose from her tale so hopefully shes trying to molt.

Okay next morning now. She's still here thankfully moving around. She still looks to not have molted fully however the skin on her tail has become further loose going to the tail. Probably taking her time to molt.

Can this be deadly for the shrimp that it's taking time to molt? She is that colour which makes me know she's in the molting stage.

Only if she can’t molt. Most deaths in shrimp are a result of being unable to molt. They usually hide immediately after molting for a few hours until the new shell hardens. Good luck!

Only if she can’t molt. Most deaths in shrimp are a result of being unable to molt. They usually hide immediately after molting for a few hours until the new shell hardens. Good luck!

So thankfully she's still alive. I believe she has molted as I saw a piece of tail on the ground and I only have 2 big amano shrimps. She was eager for food when I gave food so she is healthy thankfully. Hopefully she is all good now :)

The actual moult happens in approximately one second. They start going opaque a day or two before and usually go into hiding. Never actually seen it happening in my tank but there are a couple of vids on youtube where they managed to capture it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back