Hujeta And Dats

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

shroob

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi,

Some may remember I recently got 4 hujeta in my 90 gallon (48x18x24), and for a while I have been interested in dats so was thinking if I could put a dat in my tank with my hujeta. They were in the same tank at the LFS where I bought them so I don't think its totally unrealistic.

My concern was that the dats would one day get quite big and try and eat the hujeta, I know that in the future I will have to find a new home for the dats as they will outgrow my tank (my plan is to ask shop owner if he would be interested in having them back, if he doesn't then I don't see myself getting the dats, but I know dats are relatively slow growers so I should have some time with them).

I just wanted to know what others thought or if they had had/heard of this combination before.

Thanks,
Shroob.

I can't see any problems as long as they are sensible sizes.

get a small D.Cambelli they grow really slow and it will probably be ok for years in 90g

I don't think they have cambelli, I think the ones they are are siamese tigers (though I'm no expert on dats, have been looking around the net for the 4 days or so trying to bone up on dat ID). About 3" and £25, not stable yet.

Hello, I'm exloring and brodening my horizons!! LOL!!
I can't figure out what a dat is!!!! I tried googling dat and came up w/nothing and then added dat+aquarium and came up with nothing...

Please help me out!!

Dat is short for Datnoids which are commonly known as Siamese tiger fishes.

the ones for £25 at your lfs will be either D.Microlepis or D.Polota there is a profile on both types in the fish index

the ones for £25 at your lfs will be either D.Microlepis or D.Polota there is a profile on both types in the fish index

I don't think they are either of those fish, it had less stripes than D.Micropelis and I don't think it was a Polota either.
Regarding water chemistry on dats, my tank has a large piece of bogwood and the last time I checked my pH it was around 7.2, will this be Ok for dats as in one of the profiles it said it doesn't do well in soft water. Or is it a case of a stable pH is better?

Thanks again

7.2 will be fine
what species do you think they are then?

I'm not entirely sure, but they don't really look like the ones you've posted. The tank they're in says 'Siamese tiger fish' which is a broad name I know but I'm leaning towards Pulcher, it didn't have many bars and were wider than the thin bars if memory serves me correctly. I may be going sometime later in the week, depends on how busy I am but I'll have a better look next time, may even buy it if its still there.

D.Pulcher are very rare and are a lot more than £25
there is a slim chance it is one and the lfs dont know what they have but i doubt it
probably a 3 striped microlepis which look a bit similar

They are 100% not pulcher you wont find any in LFS as they a banned from export from Tailand. The only Pulcher you will ever find for sale will be 10"+ and will be someone selling one that they have but it will be snapped up before anyone heres about it being for sale for £300 upwards. The dats in your shop if you believe look like pulcher will be d.microlepsis as cane said. They can have very different marking you get 4 stripe microlepsis and 3 bar ones but they will be microlepsis or maybe even thin bar. What size are they?

They are about 2-3" long. I am probably wrong just I don't remember it having alot of stripes and they were definately thicker than on a thin bar dat.

Most reactions

Back