How/What/Why/When ????

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ang

Reaction score
4 months ago we rescued one tiny platy and he's still growing happily in our molly ruled tank. the second baby 2 months later did not survive. today we found number 3; another tiny platy. the mother has not been seen for at least 3 weeks. we have a seashell in the tank that was her home but this got overswum with mollies after a recent breeding explosion by the now deceased parents. in short, how does this happen? how long are platys pregnant (papa died months and months ago)? how many fry can they have? and more importantly, how can we have another baby when the mother is nowhere? if anyone knows, we'd be grateful if you would share your knowledge.

First of all, platys and all other livebearers can store sperm for I think from 4-8 months, or something like that, in just one mating. Platys gestation period is about 3-4 weeks, although it varies. I've seen platies have from 8-35 fry at once, depending on the diet, water conditions, and stress on the mother. I know this may be hard (I didn't see what size tank you had) but try pulling all the decorations out of your tank. But before actually pulling them out, look inside them and see if she's in any of them. I lost 2 balloon mollies a few months ago due to them both getting stuck in the decoration.

Most reactions

Back