How to speed up a tank cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishEs2978

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m sure we’ve all be there , have the tank set up and just watching it …. I set it up around a week and a half ago after I moved it has some gravel in it which was from the old tank but it has sat in a bag for about a month and a half … the same for the filter media.
So my question is how to speed the process up ?? At the moment I have 2 plants in there but I’m getting more tomorrow - any suggestions for species ?? I’ve added the correct dose of seachem prime conditioner and fluval water conditioner … but what else can u do !!!??

I've heard mixed reviews on the various BBB (bottled beneficial bacteria). I don't think they hurt, but I've never really done the testing to see if they speed up the cycle. Anybody?

I've never really done the testing to see if they speed up the cycle. Anybody?
i've used various bottled bacteria before and the ones that worked the most for me were the fritz brand ones.
some will say seachem stability is better and others will say that bottled bacteria doesn't work at all, depending on who you ask.
it also depends on where you buy from - according to reviews, if you buy online, a lot of the time it will come spoiled due to improper storage.

I've heard mixed reviews on the various BBB (bottled beneficial bacteria). I don't think they hurt, but I've never really done the testing to see if they speed up the cycle. Anybody?
i like quick start and it helps

I’ve added the correct dose of seachem prime conditioner and fluval water conditioner
Do you mean you've used two water conditioners, or is one of them something else and that's a typo? You only need one water conditioner.

The most effective bottle bacteria products are claimed to be Dr Tim's One & Only and Tetra Safe Start as both contain the correct species of nitrite eater. Historically, no other brand could use the correct nitrite eaters as the use of them was protected by copyright, or whatever the correct term is. [Dr Tim worked for Marineland when he discovered the correct species and both he and Marineland copyrighted/whatever the use of this species. Tetra later took over Marineland so they could use it]. I don't know whether the nitrite eaters are now out of copyright/whatever but if you want to be certain, use one of those products.

No bottled bacteria cycles a tank instantly, despite any claims made for them. The good ones speed up a cycle; the poor ones do nothing.

This coming Sunday will be my fourth week of cycling and my parameters are looking good.
My gravel was from my old community tanks, some 13 years old and kept in an un-heated storage unit. The filter sponges in my Juwel filter pump were new, so I thought I'd give both Microbe-Lift Special Blend and Nite-Out II a go and, as I've said, my parameters are looking good so far, (I have a basic Journal going on the Forum).

The tank was fully planted from the outset and I added a couple of nerite snails and I see other tiny physid and ramshorn snails have come in on the plants, in spite of bleaching, prior to planting. (Unless some actually survived their time in storage!)

I'm intrigued by the concept of someone actually copyrighting a species of bacteria and I do know that there are many suitable nitrite-eating bacterial species out there, so I'd be surprised if only the one company has harnessed the only useful species. I also appreciate that bacteria can be cultivated and have their genes manipulated, so it makes sense that a created bacterium can be copyrighted.

I’m sure we’ve all be there , have the tank set up and just watching it …. I set it up around a week and a half ago after I moved it has some gravel in it which was from the old tank but it has sat in a bag for about a month and a half … the same for the filter media.
Yup...The Waiting is one of those processes that we all have to go through and, given that impulse control is probably one of our biggest failings, it's the hardest to do. I spent my time catching up on the modern research and contemporary aquarium trends and messing with my planting. I also got back into the routine of testing, playing with the different kits available, though I must confess that having other hobbies was helpful. ;)

The research done by Dr Tim showed that the bacteria used in bacterial starters at the time were those which grew in high-nitrite environments (Nitrobacter species), and he discovered it was a different species which grew in aquariums' low nitrite environments (Nitrospira species). I don't know if copyrighted is the right word but whatever the legal term is, it meant that no-one else could use his discovery in their products
I doubt that any commercial company would make a product containing multiple micro-organisms. They want something cheap and easy to make.

I doubt that any commercial company would make a product containing multiple micro-organisms. They want something cheap and easy to make.
*Shock! Horror! So are you suggesting that Microbe-Lift are telling lies!?!:oops:

From their site;
"Special Blend contains a unique consortium of bacteria..."

Digging out my ancient microbiology knowledge, nothing they say seems too far-fetched, although suggesting the carotenoids would enhance fish colour is perhaps a tad hyperbolic, given the quantities we're talking about. ;)

Do you mean you've used two water conditioners, or is one of them something else and that's a typo? You only need one water conditioner.

The most effective bottle bacteria products are claimed to be Dr Tim's One & Only and Tetra Safe Start as both contain the correct species of nitrite eater. Historically, no other brand could use the correct nitrite eaters as the use of them was protected by copyright, or whatever the correct term is. [Dr Tim worked for Marineland when he discovered the correct species and both he and Marineland copyrighted/whatever the use of this species. Tetra later took over Marineland so they could use it]. I don't know whether the nitrite eaters are now out of copyright/whatever but if you want to be certain, use one of those products.

No bottled bacteria cycles a tank instantly, despite any claims made for them. The good ones speed up a cycle; the poor ones do nothing.
Sorry yes a typo !! The second one is a “ quick start “

okay , so I’ll try out one of the suggested bacteria’s , how long should I let my tank cycle ? I’ve looked it up but can’t find any other way to speed up a cycle unless anyone can think of anymore ?

okay , so I’ll try out one of the suggested bacteria’s , how long should I let my tank cycle ? I’ve looked it up but can’t find any other way to speed up a cycle unless anyone can think of anymore ?
Speeding stuff up and impatience do not normally lend themselves to a successful enjoyment of the hobby. Mistakes are made and, perhaps more importantly, living things die.
Usually, to then rectify those mistakes, more time and sometimes even money is required and the previous haste was a false economy.

I performed lots of water testing and noticed, after 12 days, some physid and mini ramshorn snails, that'd probably come in on my plants. After a couple more days, I went for it and added a brace of nerite snails. These did very well (and continue to do so), but I was begginning to get the suggestion of a hair algae problem, so I tweaked my light settings and this issue has since disappeared.

Whilst cycling with fish is possible, it requires very careful management and even then, there's a strong possibility that the fish will be subjected to unnecessary stress.
Cycling with plants was my preferred option, as this definitely speeds up the cycling process.
Without running a control tank, I cannot state that the snails have speeded up the process further, but I suspect that this may be the case, with algae being controlled by them, as well as any plant detritus, which would contribute to the water's ammonia load.
That said, once I decided NOT to nuke the snails with toxins*, I had to monitor my water even more closely.

*Actually, a very bad idea, 'cos dead and dying snails would've added to the unwanted ammonia. If I wanted to reduce the snail population, I would've set a trap. ;)

So now I'll be 4-weeks in on this coming Sunday and, if my water parameters remain stable, I might be adding a small number of Black Neon Tetras into the mix.

To make the cycling process go quicker do the following things.
Remove the cover/ lid from the aquarium so bacteria can land on the water.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen level in the water.

Have the water temperature around 28-30C to speed up the growth rate of the bacteria. You can reduce the temperature when the tank has finished cycling.

Keep the pH around 7.0-7.4.

Have the ammonia level around 3ppm.

Add filter media/ material from an established tank.
Add gravel from an established tank.

Add liquid filter bacteria supplements. Use a double dose every day for one week and then pour the remaining contents into the tank. Try to add the bacteria near the filter intake so it gets drawn into the filter where it belongs.

Here is website on how to cycle your tank by Dr Tim.

According to his method and by using his bottled bacteria, you can get your tank cycled on Day 9(estimation).
By the way, you have to measure the ammonia and nitrite level to verify that the tank is ready for fish.

I guess other brands of bottled bacteria can also help to speed up the cycling process though their effectiveness may vary.

You can add substrate such as fine gravel or coarse sand for the bacteria to colonize the bottom of the tank.
Add more types of filter medias instead of just sponge pads. Get some filter medias such as ceramic rings, Biohome filter media, etc for the bacteria to grow on them.

If you are considering plants, fast growing plants like Anacharis Elodea, Hornworts and Cabomba are very good in absorbing ammonia.
But becareful to sterilize and rinse them well before using them as they can carry parasites and snails. In fact, I even quarantined them.
I have two tanks outside my house which have many plants and there is no filter in the tanks.

Lastly, do not clean your filter medias for the first two months as the bacteria has just started to populate the filter medias.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back