How to prevent sand from getting into my filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have a problem with sand right now, so how to protect my filter and the impeller?

@seangee what kind of filter are you using for your tank?

Just cover the intake with a strainer sponge and don't put too close to the sand especially for high power/flow rate filter (hang on filter, overhead filter, canister filter, etc).

If you can't find the strainer sponge, just slice a very thin layer of sponge, wrap it around the intake and use a rubber band to hold it in place.

Attachments

• GEX Strainer Sponge.PNG
    GEX Strainer Sponge.PNG
    58.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Strainer sponge 3.PNG
    Strainer sponge 3.PNG
    48.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
What brand/type/model of filter do you use now? Picture of it in the tank?

That type of filter shouldn't suck up sand unless it is actually sitting on the bottom of the tank. This type of filter should be attached to the wall of the tank near the surface so that the water coming out of the filter moves water along the surface.
Most of the images in your link have the motor on top and the media at the bottom. The media should catch any bits of sand before they can get to the impeller.

They may be different styles from the ones in your link, but I have always used this type of filter and have never had a problem with sand.

What is the problem you have with sand?

That type of filter shouldn't suck up sand unless it is actually sitting on the bottom of the tank. This type of filter should be attached to the wall of the tank near the surface so that the water coming out of the filter moves water along the surface.
Most of the images in your link have the motor on top and the media at the bottom. The media should catch any bits of sand before they can get to the impeller.

They may be different styles from the ones in your link, but I have always used this type of filter and have never had a problem with sand.

What is the problem you have with sand?
Sands always getting into the ‘impeller’ of the filter and cause it to broke.

With the type of filter in the link, sand should not be able to reach the impeller. The filter should be well above the sand, and there's all the media in the way to catch the sand before it reaches the impeller.
Can you take a photo of your filter, please, and tell us what media you have inside it.

Is the bottom of the filter touching the sand? Please upload pictures of the filter in the tank.

Sands always getting into the ‘impeller’ of the filter and cause it to broke.
Is it a new tank setup? Just wondering as newly added sand is very dusty and this is likely to go into the filter and can take a little while to filter out/settle.
You can add a small second internal filter/powerhead and just fill it with polywool to scrub the water of any small sand particles

Yes, polywool is very fine. You can use it as the first layer(most front layer) inside your internal filter to trap all the sand and small particles. It will prevent the sand from going into the inside layer and the impeller.

Or you can use a piece of thin cloth or the women pantyhose stocking to wrap around the internal filter and tie it with cable tie or rubber band.

There are many ways to do it.

You can even think of how to use a 1.5 liter plastic bottle or any bottle big enough to cover and protect the filter.
Put the whole filter inside the bottle.
Make some holes/openings only at the top part of the bottle for the water to be able to get into the filters. The water can only go through the top part of the bottle.
The sand which is heavier won't be able to go up so high and be sucked into the filter.
I hope you can understand my explanations.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back