How to prepare cuttlebone?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JemZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Was wondering how to prepare cuttlebone for some nerites, some places say to boil it, and others to just throw it in.

If you collect it from the beach, just rinse it off under tap water and add the cuttlebone to the tank.

If you buy it form a pet shop, rinse it under tap water and add it to the tank.

There's no need to boil it.

I've no experience with it myself but I read somewhere you could crush it into a powder and it will dissolve quicker in your tank water...sounds like a faff though. Do the nerite eat it? Or is it to condition your water?

If you collect it from the beach, just rinse it off under tap water and add the cuttlebone to the tank.

If you buy it form a pet shop, rinse it under tap water and add it to the tank.

There's no need to boil it.
Thanks!

I've no experience with it myself but I read somewhere you could crush it into a powder and it will dissolve quicker in your tank water...sounds like a faff though. Do the nerite eat it? Or is it to condition your water?
I could see how that might work but I don't know that it's true. I'm giving it for the nerite to supplement their shell health, the water is already rather hard (I know that reduces the need for the cuttlebone but it doesn't hurt to give it so might as well)

neritesget 90% of the calcium they need from calcium dissolved in water or through the food they eat. They will not consume the bone itself it has to dissolve. cuttle boat , sea shells, and coral dissolve in acidic water PH below 7. It does not dissolve in water with a PH above 7. in myRO water tank I use a sea shell to keep my PH very close to 7. Most of the damage people season snail shells is not from lake of calcium. Instead more comes from low PH or abrasion when the snail moves along the glass and rubs agains the substrate. Once the shell is damaged it will not heal.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back