How To Post Fish?

VickiandKev

Fishaholic
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
656
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
North London
I have a lot of bristlenoses to sell and simply am not able to sell them without offering postage, but I really want to make sure that these babies survive if I do post them.

I am in the UK, but it's pretty cold so I don't want these fellas dying in transit of the cold.

So, my questions are:
What is the best way to package these fish?
I was thinking, each fish double-bagged individually, all packed in a polybox with 2 heat pads at least, and then the polybox packed in a cardboard box, but I realise this may be a bit pricey.
How much water should be in the bag?
I'll be sending possibly a fully grown bristlie, otherwise they will be 1-2in long bristlies.

Where is the best place to buy heat packs, polyboxes and polybags from?

Who is the best company/courier to go with for 24hr delivery and how much would you expect to pay?

Thanks in advance for any help. I really don't want to offer postage unless I know as much as possible to post these fish safely.
 
I have a lot of bristlenoses to sell and simply am not able to sell them without offering postage, but I really want to make sure that these babies survive if I do post them.

I am in the UK, but it's pretty cold so I don't want these fellas dying in transit of the cold.

So, my questions are:
What is the best way to package these fish?
Either 2 cardboard boxes, or a polestyrene box (cooler)
I was thinking, each fish double-bagged individually, all packed in a polybox with 2 heat pads at least, and then the polybox packed in a cardboard box, but I realise this may be a bit pricey.
Fish should be double bagged, I would reccommend only 4 fish per box with 1 heatpad depending on season
How much water should be in the bag?
Bag should have 1/3 water and 2/3 oxygen
I'll be sending possibly a fully grown bristlie, otherwise they will be 1-2in long bristlies.

Where is the best place to buy heat packs, polyboxes and polybags from?
Heat pack- on the net they can be pricey, i would reccomend your local DrugStore (superdrugs) and get a heatpack( the ones you use for headache etc)
Polestyene boxes- LFS or Ebay
Fish Bags- LFS or Ebay

Who is the best company/courier to go with for 24hr delivery and how much would you expect to pay?
Royal Mail will accept fish eggs or young fry, You will have to use Royal Mail Next Day Special Delivary which will cost around £6 then another £2-3 for materials used(box etc)
I dont know of any couriers, sorry


Thanks in advance for any help. I really don't want to offer postage unless I know as much as possible to post these fish safely.

Hope that helps :good:
I would use a Poly box, filled with polysterene peanuts, then get the fish bags and wrap them in newspaper to contain heat, then place them in the box with the heatpack attached to the lid. Make sure you fast the fish atleast 1 day before posting, this will help reduce ammonnia whilst it being on its travels :)

This might also help, Bae made this thread click
 
I have a lot of bristlenoses to sell and simply am not able to sell them without offering postage, but I really want to make sure that these babies survive if I do post them.
Good to hear.

VickiandKev said:
I am in the UK, but it's pretty cold so I don't want these fellas dying in transit of the cold.
I previously bought mine from heatpacksuk, the ones with the cute little seals which last for about 26 hours (rated 20+ or 24+, can't remember).

VickiandKev said:
So, my questions are:
What is the best way to package these fish?
I was thinking, each fish double-bagged individually, all packed in a polybox with 2 heat pads at least, and then the polybox packed in a cardboard box, but I realise this may be a bit pricey.
In a polystyrene box, or polystyrene lined box, I normally use only one heat pack for two bags (wrap heat pack in single layer of newspaper) or two for up to a full fish box. I get polystyrene from 1) my LFS, 2) Freecycle and 3) toner packaging for large printers/copyers.

VickiandKev said:
How much water should be in the bag?
I usually use 2 inches of water for bristlenoses, but aim for 1/4-1/3 of the bag and make sure that they are still covered if you put the bag on the side. Even more importantly, make sure that they *can not* become caught in the corners! I use cornerless bags or or tape them to make them round.
VickiandKev said:
I'll be sending possibly a fully grown bristlie, otherwise they will be 1-2in long bristlies.
Same applies, IMO do not pack more then one adult fish per bag. If the fish bags do not fill the box, top up with bags full of air or (better) warm water.

VickiandKev said:
Where is the best place to buy heat packs, polyboxes and polybags from?
See above for the first, I get bags and boxes from LFS for free, they always end up throwing them away.

VickiandKev said:
Who is the best company/courier to go with for 24hr delivery and how much would you expect to pay?
I have used APC, RM and JM (I think, will check when I get home). RM: £10 for 1-2 bags, APC: £12-20 for a full fish box (check with your local depot, prices vary), £20-35 with JM.

VickiandKev said:
Thanks in advance for any help. I really don't want to offer postage unless I know as much as possible to post these fish safely.

Best advice: be sensible! Good luck.

Also a good idea to do a text packaging before truing it for real: do everything as if you want to post the fish (without using any live fish!), then leave the packaging outside in the car overnight and check on it again about the time it should be delivered. Also heat packs can be faulty.
 
I had a problem posting fish too, by the time i had stuck the stamp on the side of him there was no room to write the address
laugh.gif
 
i think its crazy to post fish, especially bn's as they are widely available in many lfs's. i think if your going to post fish, even with all the precautions your taking, there is still i good risk they may not make it to there destination alive :(

i guess its up to the seller and consumer to determine whether or not postage is safe. im not saying its wrong, i think many people under estimate the trauma they can go through if they are not packaged correctly.its nice to make a bit of cash from fish you have bred, but safety should be paramount.

if the buyer receives dead fish he will be the first to complain, but they should think about how they are not in a tank, with constant air, steady temps and and filtered water.

this is just my opinion but, if you are buying and selling fish that are posted, EXPECT a loss in fish! brave statement from a newbie i know :shifty:
 
Read my thread on Killifish, it may prove applicable to you.

Live Fish and Egg Transportation.

We are indeed lucky in that we are keeping and breeding species of fish that can (most of the time) withstand the rigours of intercontinental postal demands. Below is a concise way including pictures of how I go about preparing to send Fish and Eggs around the globe. Some aquarists may have opinions and issues with such practices, but I say to them, if they have fish in their tanks then how did they get there.

Transportation of Fish.
The Royal Mail do not like (forbid) you from sending adult fish through their system but for some reason they allow you to send fish fry. So its entirely up to you to decide whether you want to use this method or use a courier service. One is more expensive than the other so no guesses as to which I use.

I use small high density polystyrene boxes around 10 inches square and have a wall thickness of around 1 inch. They were obtained from a friend who worked in a hospital in Glasgow. I acquired them (20) many years ago when political correctness was not so prevalent. They are excellent little boxes and were used apparently to transfer organs. (Macabre I know). Anyway the boxes have been sent as far as Sweden with heat packs and with no fish losses thus far.

Picture263.jpg


So lets get to the job in hand.The first thing I do is to line the poly box with newspaper (this will soak up any water seepage) then I place in a double layer of Bubble-Wrap. I let both of these liners over hang the top of the box as they will be folded inward at the end.

Picture264.jpg


The fish are starved of food for a good 24 hours prior to dispatch and are bagged individually (one fish in each bag) and clearly marked with the Genus, Species, Location Code and the Sex. I place around ¼ water to ¾ air in the bags.

Picture265.jpg


I would normally place 4 bags in that type of box and I would place 2 bags inside a larger bag. (X2).

Picture266.jpg


Now depending on the distance of country Im dispatching to or the time of year, the decision has to be made whether or not to use Heat-Packs. I always use 2 heat-packs, one on the lid and one on the base. The newspaper and bubble-wrap keep the packs from directly touching the fish bags.

Once complete, and I am satisfied that everything is snug within the confines of the box, I insert a care and factsheet on the species in question, just to give the recipient some idea of the conditions (water stats etc) that they have been kept in, along with other information such as feeding etc.

Picture267.jpg


Finally I begin to finish off the package, cover over the access bubble-wrap and newspaper and place and extra layer of both on top. The lid is placed on top and securely taped down with heavy duty packaging tape.

Picture268.jpg


Now all that is left to do is to wrap the whole thing in brown paper, stick on a few fragile and this way up stickers and clearly print on the recipients address on both top and bottom of the box.

Picture269.jpg


Then its off down to the local Post Office to hear how much its all going to cost.
SO its clear to see I dont make money from my hobby. I get great satisfaction from feedback from the recipients which is worth more than the money. (Its not a get rich quick scheme).

Transportation of Eggs

Transporting killifish eggs for me is simply placeing the advertised amount of eggs (in water or peat as species dictates) into a plastic vial (obtainable off Ebay) The vial is clearly labled with Species Name...Number of Eggs...Date Collected...Date Expected and again a Factsheet is included.
The receptical is then wrapped in cotton wool and bubblewrap and inserted into a padded Jiffy-Bag. and addressed.

Picture271.jpg


I hope this little article has provided some insight on the topic of sending Killifish Fish/Eggs through the post. Again some people will inevitably disagree with the ethics of these practices and in reply I would suggest to them that certain killifish are on endangered species lists or are totally eradicated in their natural habitats and it is through dedicated hobbyists breeding and distributing such species that they don't become extinct altogether.


Regards
BigC
 

Most reactions

Back
Top