🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
EDAAEE53-3485-48B5-8945-C1305D6D368F.jpeg
I just got this lotus root and i have not the slightest idea of how to plant it
I have a small half barrel pond ready for it it has clay but no water ( and a tiny wild plant specimen in it) what should i do

Attachments

• E36ED0C0-AF7C-4B06-ACDB-671CFD4BE571.jpeg
    E36ED0C0-AF7C-4B06-ACDB-671CFD4BE571.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 60
Did you buy a lotus tuber/ bulb or what did you order?

If it's just a root, then it probably won't do anything.

Did you buy a lotus tuber/ bulb or what did you order?

If it's just a root, then it probably won't do anything.
it is a tuber with a lil sprout on it
i found this:
plant it in the mud and give it water
is that good

pretty much. as long as it's a tuber it should start to grow in a few weeks.
even in fall?
cool

what about those in the store they are tubers, is it possible to grow them if i get a complete one

If it's in a tropical aquarium it should grow.

I don't know about the ones in store, but if they have a tuber they should grow.

Water lilies and lotus like a lot of nutrients so use fertiliser tablets under the roots and liquid fertiliser in the water. If they don't get enough nutrients, they use up the reserves in the tuber, grow rapidly for a few months, and then die from starvation.

We used to grow lilies and lotus in pots in tanks. We used 2-5 litre plastic icecream buckets. A 2 litre bucket should be fine for small plants.
Put an inch of gravel in the bottom of the bucket.
Spread a thin layer of granulated/ slow release lawn/ garden fertiliser over the gravel.
Put a 1/4 inch layer of red clay over the fertiliser. This stops the fertiliser leaching into the water.
Cover it with more gravel.
Plant the tuber in the gravel and as the roots grow down, they will hit the clay and fertiliser and the plant should take off.

We used to grow lilies and lotus in pots in tanks. We used 2-5 litre plastic icecream buckets.
Where can I buy 5 litres of ice cream please? 🤤

If it's in a tropical aquarium it should grow.

I don't know about the ones in store, but if they have a tuber they should grow.

Water lilies and lotus like a lot of nutrients so use fertiliser tablets under the roots and liquid fertiliser in the water. If they don't get enough nutrients, they use up the reserves in the tuber, grow rapidly for a few months, and then die from starvation.

We used to grow lilies and lotus in pots in tanks. We used 2-5 litre plastic icecream buckets. A 2 litre bucket should be fine for small plants.
Put an inch of gravel in the bottom of the bucket.
Spread a thin layer of granulated/ slow release lawn/ garden fertiliser over the gravel.
Put a 1/4 inch layer of red clay over the fertiliser. This stops the fertiliser leaching into the water.
Cover it with more gravel.
Plant the tuber in the gravel and as the roots grow down, they will hit the clay and fertiliser and the plant should take off.
oh we have it outside in a barrel tank how should i keep it for winter?
it still seems to have 1 cut leaf so maybe it still is alive idk
who knows maybe next year i can get a little baby one to put in the tank

If the weather isn't too cold outside it should be fine. But they are normally tropical and don't do well if the temperature gets really cold or freezes over. Frost and freezing will kill it.

You can bring it indoors in a small container of water and have it at room temperature. It will grow slowly and can go outside when the weather warms up.

Most reactions

Back