How To Know If Floorboards Will Support This Weight?

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

An aquarium of that size could weigh about 550Kg (86 stone) when full of water with gravel etc. You just need 7 or so 12 stone mates to stand in the location you would like to place your tank, if you all fall through the floor your tank will be to large for your flat
smile.png

I think mine weighs well over 3/4 of a ton with every thing but is on concrete floor ....... I would not feel safe if it was on a wooden floor without proper inspection

KirkyArcher said:
An aquarium of that size could weigh about 550Kg (86 stone) when full of water with gravel etc. You just need 7 or so 12 stone mates to stand in the location you would like to place your tank, if you all fall through the floor your tank will be to large for your flat
smile.png
Ā 
That would unfortunately not work, aquariums are permanent dead weights that are distributed differently to people. It would be nice if it could work though, would sure save a lot of messing around.

HI
Ā 
i used to be a joiner. depending on the width of your room from load bearing wall to loadĀ bearingĀ wall depends on theĀ thicknessĀ of your floor joists. i would of thought they would be 8x2. these are very strong bits of wood (alought im not sure what the breaking pont is). as someone suggested earlier putting themĀ acrossĀ you floorĀ joistsĀ isĀ probablyĀ your best bet. you could always try and spread the load maybe by putting something under the tank/standĀ that'sĀ wider than it not sure how well that would work through. maybe just get a enginere but i would of thought it would be ok but iĀ wouldn'tĀ be doing it as i would be a bit scared it would fall through. but if you wereĀ desperateĀ to do it you could strengthen the floor this would be at a cost though. But im notĀ responsibleĀ for anything that happens due to my post :p lol

I've decided after a long think about this and my options it is something I do not want to just set it up and run the risk and considering I'm not going to be in this upstairs flat for anymore than two years and the problems this size tank would cause for example changing water and so on is just not worth it. I worked out weight and floor boards would not be safe to support it as its x6 the recommended amount whereas I've decided to go down to 4ft height 1ft width and 1 or 1 1/2ft height size tank which is much more safer and get a bigger size tank in my next size house or downstairs flat as I can just pay to get the floor fully concreted and actually sleep at night without worrying. I feel it would also be very unfair on my neighbour downstairs and selfish as if anything happened... my goodness its nothing something I could just mop up and it could potentially cause death.
Ā 
These size tanks belong downstairs as they are massive and the recommended weight (40kgs) per ft or 130kg per sqm this is miles miles miles much more weight than that, its something like 160kg per ft roughly alone!

a 55 gallon is ok on the top floor of the house? Now i'm worried :( I'm not sure what you guys mean by upstairs flat

With gravel, plants and decorations in your 200 litre tank, the tanks actual volume of water will be about 168 litres, water weighs more like 1 litre = 1 Kg
Ā 
so just based on that your estimate is 72 Kg over that of what you think it is
smile.png

Ā 
And yes should be OK on your living room floor (Mine is OK on a joist and boarded floor)

Most reactions

Back