How to kill Spirulina Algae? Is killing my fish...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Peacefulplanet3

Reaction score
Hi,

I experimented with growing Spirulina in an aquarium of mine, as I'm experimenting with Eco-systems and aquatic life balancing, and the Spirulina is VERY prolific. It seems to be suffocation or otherwise killing the fish, both young and old. They tend to lay on the bottom gasping until they become too weak to feed any longer over a few weeks. I have Red Wag Platys.

51c63d63ddcaecd43c161461637b1900.jpg

I have a couple types of algae but none compare to the prolific Spirulina.

I've tried to add salt n maybe just didn't add enough, or maybe it likes it?

Any experience with this?

Need to save my fish for their sake.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

first off fill that water line up! can go up way more... Less light + usual 50% WC's

The growth process for plants and algae requires CO2 and nutrients to creat fats and sugars. IF Algae need energy when there is little to no light they react oxygen with the fats and sugar to get the energy they need. Algae blooms in the wild often deplete the water of oxygen making it hard for the fish to breath.

Algae also needs minerals in addition to CO2 to grow. In the process of consuming these minerals the algae (and plants) can cause PH shifts that may be harmful to fish.

The short term solution to your problem is an air stone in the water with an air pump attached to increase oxygen levels. long term you need to reduce the amount of algae growth.

first off fill that water line up! can go up way more... Less light + usual 50% WC's
yo Dutch, what ya can't see in the pic is the 2 waterfalls from a couple filter pumps. They need right about 3 inches, like you see in the picture, to make as many bubbles as possible. Thanks though. You couldn't see that in the pic. [emoji106]

yo Dutch, what ya can't see in the pic is the 2 waterfalls from a couple filter pumps. They need right about 3 inches, like you see in the picture, to make as many bubbles as possible. Thanks though. You couldn't see that in the pic. [emoji106]

Ya thanks for the data Steven, now to get to the original quotation:how do I reduce the amount of Spirulina algae? My bottom tank has an algae that the fish LOVE. All their poop is green they eat so much of it, and i feed them plenty.

I'm going to seed that algae into the upper tank by the bucket load (table spoon) to combat the evil Spirulina til it dies a thousand deaths............

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back