FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF people! I went to my LFS and fell in love with a little Electric Yellow Cichlid! How do I properly keep these? @Colin_T , and @Byron , you seem to know a lot about fish species, how I properly keep these fish? :)

(I believe max size is 5 in?) :)

Presumably this is the species Labidochromis caeruleus (common names can be misleading) and thus is a cichlid from the African rift lakes.

It needs hard water, a basic pH, and is unsuitable to be housed with any other fish except other rift lake cichlids.

Having said that, I am going to leave this for the cichlid experts to carry forward, as my knowledge of the rift lake fish beyond what I've said is very limited. Some of them are downright nasty, some need a group...others can advise. But obviously from all this they also need largish tanks.

And who on this forum is a Cichlid expert? :)

Not really a cichlid expert but have had many over the years. Cichlids are the most interesting freshwater tropical fish. Their breeding and parenting is fascinating to watch. The fry are easy to raise as most will take BBS right from the get go. But . . . Cichlids are very aggressive. At breeding time they will kill all their tank mates. Most do best by themselves. Most of the water in the U.S. is perfect right out of the tap for Rift Lake cichlids. I've seen tanks with multiple species of Malawi cichlids in it but something didn't seem right about that. The fish acted "funny". Weird funny. But I am a strong advocate of species only tanks and I'm always seeing boogeymen. You really should try cichlids. Every aquarist does sooner or later.

Sound interesting! How big of a tank do I need to house said Cichlid? :)

Electric yellow cichlids (Labidochromis caeruleus) need a tank that is 3 foot long or bigger. You can keep a group of them (4+ depending on tank size), and they breed readily.

They are quite peaceful for a cichlid and come from Lake Malawi in Africa, which has a GH around 300ppm and a pH above 7.6.

They are a mouth brooding cichlid and the females hold the eggs in a buccal pound (sack under their jaw) while they develop. She will also let the babies swim back into her mouth for a few weeks after they are born. The babies can be fed on newly hatched brineshrimp as soon as they are free swimming.

You can keep them with other peaceful Rift Lake cichlids, as well as bigger rainbowfish and some of the Synodontis catfish (Synodontis multipunctatus are regularly kept with them).

Feed the cichlids on a varied diet that has lots of plant matter in it.

Sound interesting! How big of a tank do I need to house said Cichlid? :)
You know what Brother Man ? It's time for you to take the plunge and get a big tank. Get a 55 at least, a 75 would be real nice, and then enter the world of cichlids. I bet that Kentucky water percolating through all that limestone back there would be absolutely ideal for your Malawi set-up. Just eat every other day for awhile, ride the bus and swear off women. That'll give you the cash you need.

Yeah, I wish! ^

Thank you for the information @Colin_T! How big (as in gallons) does my tank need be? :)

I don't deal in gallons. The fish need a tank that is at least 3 foot long so they have room for territories. Whether the tank is 3 ft long x 2 ft wide x 2ft high, or 3 ft long x 14 inches wide x 18 inches high, it doesn't really matter. You just need some space for them.

Ok! The EYC will have to wait for another day, until then, no eating! :p

I don't deal in gallons. The fish need a tank that is at least 3 foot long so they have room for territories. Whether the tank is 3 ft long x 2 ft wide x 2ft high, or 3 ft long x 14 inches wide x 18 inches high, it doesn't really matter. You just need some space for them.
There's the whole ball of wax in a nutshell. It's space you need to think about. The glaringly obvious has been spoken.

There's the whole ball of wax in a nutshell. It's space you need to think about. The glaringly obvious has been spoken.
I do agree with Back In The Fold. You look at all these fish but your first step is a much larger tank. Mow some lawns, flip some hamburgers, etc. to make a little money. This hobby depends on cash flow to keep going and growing. You deserve all the tanks you want. Go make a few bucks and have fun.

Ok! Thank you both for the words of wisdom! ;)

Nothing wrong with good hard work. It builds strength and character and develops a sense of pride in what we accomplish. I started working part-time while still in high school. I instilled the same goals in all of my kids and they too, were working part time before they graduated from high school. They then went to college and still worked part time. All 4 now have careers, nice homes, and beautiful families. Too many lazy millennials sitting around doing nothing these days acting as if they are entitled to everything. OK, getting off of my soap box. Sorry for bogarting your thread

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back