How to Keep a Hospital Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've just set up a hospital tank for a couple of my Rainbow fish. It's only a tiny 20 litre tank. I used water from the main tank to fill it. I'm treating them with an antibacterial medication so I'm not expecting the filter to mature in the slightest. My question is one to do with water changes. The ammonia is going to climb pretty quickly but if I change the water I will be getting rid of some of the meds. Will it be OK to leave the water as is until day 4 when I will be re-dosing or will the water be too toxic by then? I will be doing tests on the water so if the levels get too high I'm going to change water regardless. The fish are too poorly to take any chemical type stress at the moment (dropsy).

Ta,

WK

Hi Waterloo Kid

The higher than zero ammonia levels will cause more stress on the fish. You should be doing water changes every day, if you do not have a filter.

IMO you should still have a filter in the tank. It will not be able to fully colonise with bacteria, but some will survive the treatment.

Sorry to hear thta WK

There are products that can neutralise ammonia (eg Ammolock) .... though I've never had to use them

Cut back on feeding them and do the daily water changes and as you say keep a close eye on the water quality. Most meds claim to be harmless to filter bacteria but may reduce the available oxygen in the water so it also wouldn't hurt to angle the filter outlet up to agitate the water surface...

If this is a brand new filter make sure there is no carbon in it....

You could also seed the filter material with gunk from you existing set-up and in the future keep the small filter media in the main tank so its all ready to go next time you need the hospital tank....

Good luck m8 and let us know how you get on.....

:)

the water you are adding ... is it possibly to medicate that? this way it will be the correct strength.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back