How To Gravel Vac Sand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting sand but I thought it will be different gravel vacing sand then gravel vacing gravel. Is it the same or different than gravel vacing gravel?

I was thinking of getting sand but I thought it will be different gravel vacing sand then gravel vacing gravel. Is it the same or different than gravel vacing gravel?

I manage to get by by swirling the vac about a centimetre or two above the sand. Since waste doesn't sink into sand quickly it'll all be on the top. The vac picks up the large particles and leaves the sand virtually untouched. However moving the sand around once in a while is a very good idea as toxins can come out of build ups within the sand.

BTW sand looks great in tanks - especially argos play sand :)

you will never get it so you don't pick up any sand but do the above and you wont get much:)

I have a tank with gravel and another with sand, and I prefer to clean the sand so far! Don't really have to get in there and dig around in sand like you do with gravel. Like others mentioned, hover a bit over the sand and you'll lose only a tiny bit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back