How To Get Get 100% Of The Co2 To Dissolve?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fluval-1200

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Im looking for ways of getting the most from co2 gas.

I understand the more its touching the water the more it dissolves, how would I get it to dissolve 100%? if its even possible.
Thanks

I wouldn't say it is possible to get "100%" to dissolve in an aquarium, but you obviously want to get as much of it to dissolve as you possibly can, to save wasting gas. How are you currently delivering it? Are you just using a ceramic diffuser?

Also what type of filter are you running?

IMO, reactors are better than diffusers, either run inline with the filter, or with a power-head. If you are going to run it inline, then your water return pipe ideally wants to be below the waters surface. I run a reactor inline with my return pipe, and it works great.

The best way I've found (and is better than my current inline diffuser/atomiser system to the tune of 1.5 bps over using 3 bps to get same saturation) is to put a ceramic diffuser underneath your intake strainer, by the time it passes through all the media the impeller and hoses there is no visible sign of any micro bubbles being present when the water re enters he tank
smile.png

I currently have the ceramic tube type diffuser and I have that under the outlet of my filter so it blows it around the tank, Its not the best way of having it I know but looking for the best way to upgrade. Ive got the fx5 but I always thought having the gas going into the filter was a bad idea as it will create a big c02 pocket and possibly do damage?

Fluval-1200 said:
......but I always thought having the gas going into the filter was a bad idea as it will create a big c02 pocket and possibly do damage?
You are only drawing in tiny little bubbles using a ceramic diffuser, and they don't usually get trapped as the filter flow doesn't give them a chance to settle anywhere, not like an air stone that usually has high amounts of much larger volume bubbles and shouldn't be placed any where near the vicinity of your intake, even if it was a large pocket of air/gas formed it wouldn't cause any damage, and your FX5 would auto dump any build up during its auto off time. 

I like that idea of putting the ceramic diffuser next/under the filter intake, means goes inside the filter media gets completely dissolved and back into the tank via the out take pipe/spraybar.

May just do that whenever get around to setting up a co2 system. 

Was originally toying around with intake diffuser.

Sorry to jump into your tread here Fluval, always on the lookout for tips for co2 systems. Planning to make my own system with a 2kg co2 fire extinguisher etc

I use a CO2 ladder and I believe I do get 100% dissolved into the water as the bubbles get smaller and smaller as they get to the top and none of them ever reach the top they just disappear.

I would use a ladder but im trying to get minimal equipment in the tank lol.
Surely an inline reactor on the intake side of the filter would dissolve a lot of co2?

Don't worry ch4rlie :)

You are only drawing in tiny little bubbles using a ceramic diffuser, and they don't usually get trapped as the filter flow doesn't give them a chance to settle anywhere, not like an air stone that usually has high amounts of much larger volume bubbles and shouldn't be placed any where near the vicinity of your intake, even if it was a large pocket of air/gas formed it wouldn't cause any damage, and your FX5 would auto dump any build up during its auto off time.
I've currently got CO2 bubbling through an airstone placed directly under the filter intake. I wanted to use a diffuser but I'm using yeast reactors and didn't seem to get enough pressure to make the diffuser work. Anyway I'm not getting the level of dissolution I need, the drop checker is usually turquoise at best and I can see CO2 bubbles floating on the surface where I guess they come out of the spray bar.

So, yeah, doesn't seem to be working very well and I need to fix it somehow.

You need smaller bubbles to be going into the filter intake.

Also, pushing the water around more will allow the bubbles to dissolve more quickly.

I've got my DIY Co2 back in the 125 litre up to 20mg/l as indicated as "ideal" with a check symbol on my JBL permanent test kit using the JBL Taifun diffuser (190mm), I know when using this the bubbles that are initially released are approximately a quarter of their original size by the time they reach the top, now using a single 2 Lt bottle containing my mix wich is 14 oz of sugar, a table spoon of Bicarbonate of soda, and an quarter of a spoonful of yeast and then fill the bottle up 3/4 full with warm water.
@ Daize, Have you tried your drop checker in different locations, I saw in one of your photo's it was very low and close to the gravel. (while I think that's where aqua-essentials recommend placing them you may not be getting a true representation of your Co2 levels

Have you got soft or hard water Kirky?
I'm currently running 3x 2L bottles with about 1/6 spoonful yeast each. I get lots of little bubbles but it doesn't seem enough.

Reasonably hard water, getting tank readings of GH @ 120ppm (6.7 dGH) KH @ 80ppm (4.6 dGH), PH at around 6.5
Check for leaks again, I have had to temporarily ditch my bubble counter/scrubber as that was loosing lots of gas to the atmosphere

@ Daize, Have you tried your drop checker in different locations, I saw in one of your photo's it was very low and close to the gravel. (while I think that's where aqua-essentials recommend placing them you may not be getting a true representation of your Co2 levels
Yep the reason is to get a picture of what CO2 levels are like at the bottom of the tank, where it's hardest to get enough CO2 to. So while a drop-checker may be showing green at the top of the tank that's not a good indication for your carpeting plants.

I might move the DC to the top for a bit to see what colour I get up there! Where's yours?

I remember reading somewhere that it's harder to get CO2 dissolved in either hard water or alkaline water, can't remember which. In either case that might mean I need a bit more yeast to get the same effect.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back