How To Cool My Tank

Nexorcist

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
California, US
Hi Everyone.
Today we got hit by big HeatWave in California, and my tank temperature is climbing to 84F.
I added some cold water and unplugged the heater.

Problem is i work all week and wont be around to add cold water, so what can i do ?

This heatwaves usually last for about a week or so and they get hotter during summer.


Any advice ?
 
as a southern california resident I feel your pain...that said - first get a heater with an internal thermometer so the heater automatically shuts off when your tank is 2 degrees above the set temp and turns on when your tank is below the water temp.

that said, these fish are tropical so they are not unaccustomed to heat waves. what is worse for them is when your tank heats up and then it cools off fast, which is why I suggested the heater above.

I know it was not a direct answer, but I would be more worried about the cool down.
 
Increase aeration, warmer water holds less O2. Get a fan, and get good air flow across the surface, evaporation will cool it a bit.
 
Indeed, increase airation. Not only on the tank but in the whole room. If you can cool the whole room not just the tank it will be more beneficial as the tank is only going to heat up again!
 
If this is always a problem you could look into getting a chilled. Or crank the ac and add more airation.
 
Thanks to Tolak's respond to my last post regarding new hardware i now have Marinland stealth heater with temp control and i'll set it to 79-80F so it wont cool to much at night.
I do have 2 HOB filters hopefully pumping enough water and air. Just wondering if i should get an aerator ? (none of my fish needs extra air so i never bothered getting one)
Thanks for advice.
 
fill some large drinks bottles with water and freeze them and stack around the outside of the tank

you could put a small one in the tank then if the water gets too cold the heater will kick in at warm it up a bit
 

Most reactions

Back
Top