How To Convince My Parents..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

blackers92

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok first off I apologise for posting something quite similar to this yesterday, as far as I know I cannot delete threads -_-

I have become quite addicted to fish keeping, and my 37 gallon, which has by no means been bad is just starting to constrain me. And to be honest I just want a bigger tank :D

So I proposed to my dad a 6ft tank only to find out that a standard house and flooring cannot support a 160-80 Gallon aquarium :(, the same article I read said that a 120 Gal tank would be supported by virtually any floor beam.

(website I found all this on http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html)

Now as soon as he found this out he practically shunned the whole idea, I kind of shot myself in the foot. He had no real logical reason for me not getting a bigger one other then the fact that he said no, but I am 18 now that rule no longer applies haha. I proposed to him that I could compile a list of reasons why a bigger one is better. I used the example of him and his fishing, (he is addicted) buying a beginner rod and now spending thousands on new ones. That my first tank has allowed me to learn soo much about keeping fish and that it is not a waste. I also played him, saying that he dislikes all of my hobbies like ps3 and computing (which he dislikes i knew it would work) he then confessed he enjoys the fish tank quite alot. I know that is wrong lol but it worked.

so I need some really solid facts to support my argument that a bigger tank is better. So far I have told him it allows me to have more species and that a tank over 75 Gallons simulates there natural environment more than my 37 Gallon, I also have the information on the flooring that will allow it to happen.

My dad is extremely quick witted and quite stubborn, he is a builder so I cant really beat him there and he will use ocupational health and saftey (i.e x amount of people are injured and x amount of dollars gets ruined by cracking tanks etc) He will also use my schooling as a reason not to do it, but I will turn around and suggest getting a tank at christmas after year 12 is finished

so all of your help would be greatly appreciated :D

adam

Ha if you can convince him why you "need" a bigger tank, and that you'll pay for any extra running costs etc then he may be ok with it.

I use "would you rather I spent my money on drugs or fish" - Fish is always the answer I get. I'm 25 and live at home (saving for my own place) and there is NO WAY I'd be able to have a 6 foot tank :(.

It's safer for the fish.

The more water, the slower temp changes happen, the slower ammonia et al builds up to dangerous levels.

So it will give you more time to react to potential problems. Something which would come in pretty handy if the heater stops working while you're at school.

Or the filter stops working...

It will let you house bigger fish which will make a great focal point in the room.

Your dad could choose what fish go into the smaller tank, and have that for himself.

Hmm what else....

Fish tanks are relaxing. So it'll make somewhere great to chill out after work.

Don't bother too much with how it will benefit you, ime parents aren't too bothered about that, focus on how it benefits them. If your dad asks you how you'll find the time to maintain such a large tank when you've got school, then you throw in the one about larger tanks being more stable.

hahah nah my dad is so stubborn if I like beg to him for something and say ill get off your back he will just crack it :| so I have to be manipulative which is probably worse lol

haha the drug thing is a good idea but he would be like.. oh your being so stupid blah blah blah..

yeh im thinking ill be at home for a while yet, they havent completly ruled it out though which is good, i might move downstairs which has concrete it could help support the tank

keep the ideas coming :D

Wait til you get married! I'd rather try and convince my dad than the missus.

My wife just says yes, at some point but not yet. And for some reason that time never comes around.

I was going to get a new bass 2 years ago, still waiting for the right tome.

haha i suggest that he could have the smaller tank but he showed no interest :blink:

but I will definantly add those points to my argument about more water less problems and use problems i have already encountered as examples. But he might just be like, well then dont keep fish :crazy:

lol my plan is to have a massive room dedicated to fish lock it and tell her it is a storage room, get married and be like "surprise!" .. shortly followed by a divorce. it would never work :fun:

ahh I have a week to put together my argument so more points please :nod:

but I will definantly add those points to my argument about more water less problems and use problems i have already encountered as examples. But he might just be like, well then dont keep fish :crazy:

My dad is exactly the same. My new plan, ask mam, ask dad - if both say "nothing to do with me" then it's a yes :) hahaha.

Although I did get a new fish tank when they were on holiday last year...my mam knew about it before hand but my dad didn't. Oh and there might have been a newt added to the family too...my mam also knew about that :) but not my dad...oops

yeh my mum has a massive soft spot for fish and i honestly think she watches them for hours when im at school.

I come home and she is like "OMG one of you loaches is dead!". and im like "mum how many times have I told you they lie on their sides they are fine"

and she names them and freaks out when she cant find them.. "adam bob is missing" "yeh ok mum" She walks into the store and immediantly goes to the siamese fighting fish and is like ohhh they are soo pretty lets buy some :/

but there is an advantage to this, she bought me some guppies and a bristlenose and numerous other things :D

hahaha,

My mum is EXACTLY the same.. "OH MY GOD!, Mr Shrimp isn't anywhere!!!!" :p

I live on my own and everytime she comes in it's the first thing she looks at!

I'm 28 years old still live at home and MY Dad freaked out about me having 60L. Yes, 60L. Yes, 28. :(

Definitely go with the easier to maintain and he can have your old tank thing. Also are there any fish that you couldn't have before? Why don't you try "Wow aren't these fish nice.......we could have them in a bigger tank! :lol: "

wow maby I shouldnt feel so bad for myself, 60 litres... :blink:

yeh I will use differnt fish to my advantage. knowing my dad he will love predatory fish, i will convince him that I will buy a oscar and then change my mind at the last minute once we buy the tank.

i remeber when I joined this forum some young kid (i think he was like 15 :S) had his parents set up like a 600 gallon aquarium or something. I want to know what he did, how many breakfasts in bed, cars washed mown lawns, etc haha

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back